1.11 Is Now The Default Version

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is no download link.

• Like Like x 1
  2. electronicboy

IRC Staff

BuildTools isn't version dependent and doesn't need downloading everytime spigot updates, you just need to run it. https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/buildtools/

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Could anyone help me with downloading latest version of craftbukkit

4. cowgod

Supporter

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Can someone help me of how to update step by step if possible please? thank you

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. So, so far ive mad a folder and dropped the latest version of buildtools.jar, i right clicked a empty position in that folder, then clicked git bash here, i then put this text into the cmd for git, java -jar BuildTools.jar. i then recieved an error that said unable to access jarfile buildtools.jar'. any help please anyone??

7. electronicboy

IRC Staff

rename the jar file to BuildTools.

8. okay ive done that, ive got a little bit further, in my folder that i created the bash/git thing created some files and in the cmd it says its cloning things, the next step after that is to open a text document type

@Echo off
    set startdir=%~dp0
    set bashdir="C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\bash.exe"
    %bashdir% --login -i -c "java -jar ""%startdir%\BuildTools.jar"""
    pause

Save as, put it to all files and rename it anything.bat i called it run.bat.

Next i got an error and it said 'the system cannot find the path specified' anyhelp. by the way the folder that the buildtools is in and the folder that all the clone things, spigot craftbukkit is creating is on my desktop (in a folder)

9. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Do not create a shell script if you have no idea what you're doing. Either follow the instructions or work out what the heck you're doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. What i just did is what the post told me to do. im not just going around a doing random shit

Attached Files:

11. electronicboy

IRC Staff

ignore step 5, that was seemingly put there by an idiot and was never removed Turns out it's been there longer than I thought. But still, If you're not skilled with computers, I'd potentially consider leaving out step 5.

#212 electronicboy, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. everything fixed lads thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  13. So, pardon if I'm making a bit of a fool of myself but I skipped from page 8 to the last page assuming there was still a little bit of discussion on going. Instead of spouting off again how I think one shouldn't be too bothered with this delay let me also try and help ease the pain a little bit by sharing how I'm dealing with it.

Now: my (private) server is hobby based, only a handful of people use it, but even so I like to keep things running as smoothly as possible. Therefor my startup script actually compares the modification date of both my "run server" jarfile and the build version. If the latter is newer it copies it and then starts the server.

What this means: I just had to change a parameter (max-tnt-per-tick; still experimenting a bit with performance tweaking), I restarted the server and noticed the delay. So all I did was to head into my 'build directory', rebuilt Spigot and that was that. During the next reboot (which I did shortly after) it automatically updates my server.

This is how I'm doing that:

Code (Text):

#/bin/sh

## Config section

# Minecraft version
    version=1.11

# Build directory
    source=../spigot                                                                

## Don't change code between these lines ##
    eval $(stat -s ./spigot-$version.jar)
    rundate=$st_mtime

eval $(stat -s $source/spigot-$version.jar)
    builddate=$st_mtime

if [ $builddate > $rundate ]; then cp $source/spigot-$version.jar .
    fi

Version should be obvious, source points at your source directory. In other words: the place where you ran BuildTools.jar. All that's left to do is ensure you keep your build up to date. Optionally (but I'd recommend against this) you could also consider running a build automatically (using a cron job) and automatically resetting your server on a daily basis.

Noteworthy: this runs on FreeBSD. I just checked the Debian manpage on stat and noticed that it behaves differently. So on Linux you'd use something like this:

Code (Text):

rundate=$(stat -c %Y ./spigot-$version.jar)
    builddate=$(stat -c %Y $source/spigot-$version.jar)

if [ $builddate > $rundate ]; then cp $source/spigot-$version.jar .
    fi

Hope you'll enjoy :)

14. I don't want to sound lazy but can you make an automatic updater for the server jar

15. I am still in the learning zone for coding

16. Legoman99573

Supporter

People complaining about 1.11 builds, why don't you just make a batch file (if windows) which makes me lazy to do anything.

Code (bt.bat):

@echo off

:restart

cls

set git=C:\Program Files\Git\bin\bash.exe

%git% --login -i -c "curl -o BuildTools.jar https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar"

%git% --login -i -c "java -jar BuildTools.jar"

copy spigot-1.*.jar C:\path\to\server\

cls

@echo Going to sleep zZzzz

%git% --login -i -c "sleep 24h"
    goto restart

Restart the server with this and it will work ;)

Code (run.bat):
    @echo off

:restart

cls

if exist spigot-1.*.jar (
          del /f spigot.jar
          rename spigot-1.*.jar spigot.jar
          set git=C:\Program Files\Git\bin\bash.exe
          %git% --login -i -c "sleep 5s"
    )

if exist spigot.jar (
         java -Xms512M -Xmx3072M -jar spigot.jar -o true
    ) else (
         @echo Cannot Find spigot.jar. Stopping the server.
         exit
    )

goto restart
    It works as well if you know what you are doing and has (optional) around it as its not required and not recommended if you don't know where you installed Git at.

#217 Legoman99573, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  17. The problem with automating things too much is simple: when things fail for whatever reason then things can really turn bad.

18. Legoman99573

Supporter

with automation, you can delay it, and forgot to add it in.

19. This new delay before startup if I'm running an old version is terrible. It makes people lose time and forces upgrades which may not be entirely necessary. There should be a config option to disable it for players running a server to test plugins where they have to restart many times. Surely the first thing someone does before submitting a bug report is update, so that's no excuse for this. Updates should be something that improve the server, not hinder productivity by forcing 10 minutes to be wasted on downloading them, especially when the server works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.