1.9/1.10 isn't as bad as everyones making it out to be.

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussion' started by ME1312, May 17, 2016.

1. I've been getting a bit sick of everyone saying how bad 1.9/1.10 is without any real reasons. Everyone seems to be complaining about how Microsoft ruined their game or how the changes are so noticeable (in a bad way) that they've refused to update.

I've refused to allow backwards compatibility to 1.8 users on my server and been pressuring my friends to use 1.9/1.10 for a while now. Once they stopped repeating the same BS reasoning as everyone else they admitted to not noticing a huge or game changing difference.

1.9 made combat about strategy rather than spam clicking: that's reason it's dubbed "The Combat Update." I believe this was a change for the better. It will help those out with poor connections and make PvP a more enjoyable experience for everyone instead of just being a who can click faster sort of deal.

Now 'whats fueling these reasons to hate 1.9 and 1.10' your probably asking yourself. I believe it's 1.8 backwards compatibility that's been screwing over this update. I'll admit it: 1.8 users have a significant advantage over 1.9/1.10 users in most servers, however hypothetically if backwards compatibility didn't exist it'd be a level playing field and such problems wouldn't be noticeable.

But then 1.10 was released.
    Many people still use 1.8 after it becoming 2 major versions behind. Many servers still support 1.8 which amplifies the problems of 1.9. Backwards compatibility from 1.8 to 1.10 has made using the latest minecraft version illogical because popular servers continue to support this old version. It has to stop somewhere. ._.

[​IMG]
    • People hate 1.9/1.10 (mostly) because of backwards compatible servers
    • 1.8 users have the PvP advantage over 1.9/1.10 users
    • 1.8 backwards compatibility is screwing over the new updates
    • The 1.9 PvP changes were for the better
    • 1.8-1.10 backwards compatibility made the problem worse
    • Please just give a 1.10 only server a try before jumping to conclusions :(

Anyway, no hate; It's just my opinion after all. What do you guys think?

#1 ME1312, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MineCove

Patron

The folks who complained about 1.9 complain about every update. People just don't like change when it comes down to it, doesn't matter what the change entails

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Doesn't it seem worse this time though? It seems like update backlash now is way worse than the 1.7-1.8 one.

4. MineCove

Patron

Not at all. Same circus, different clowns. I've been running my server since 2012 and playing Minecraft since 2010. I remember when they added weather and the backlash on the Minecraft Forums because of the drop in framerate. Minecraft was going to be 'unplayable' then. It's truly no different than it's always been

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ssamjh

I find it a lot nicer. At first my plan was to support 1.8 through to 1.9 clients, but after some research found out that it was more trouble than it was worth. Now I support clients from 1.9 to 1.9.4.

Admittedly I don't know if people like it or not because I am still working on my server. But I think people will get used to it.

6. I agree, some people should just give 1.9 another chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. All the new shit aside (which btw, is making Minecraft into fucking world of warcraft) -- the bugs are BAD. There are bugs in Minecraft that have been public for literally years, and instead of fixing them, they release new updates. With 1.9 came another BAD bug, the projectiles.

Projectiles are completely fucked in Minecraft, go try them for yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Haven't seen that one but agreed on the bugs thing. Minecraft has been crashing because of some chuck generation/loading error for me since 1.8 :(

9. How about Minecraft 2.0 - The Performance Update?

Nope, kids won't understand those.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Most of the people that call this update "bad" are the ones that think pvp is all there is to Minecraft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I've been using 1.9 for all the features, but I had to change combat myself to something between before and now (shields give you protection even when not using them but dual-wielding swords remove the cooldown)

I think it's cool. I skipped 1.8 so I don't really have anything to say about it, but 1.9 is way better than 1.7.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Nobody really takes time to appreciate 1.9. Most kids hate 1.9 due to the fact that their little pvp combat hacked clients don't work anymore lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. MiniDigger

Supporter

there is no reason to not update. even if your player are dependend on that crappy old pvp system you can replicate that without a problem in 1.9.
    Using a old, outdated and unsupported version is just bad. 1.9 had performance and security improvments and fixed many bugs.
    Ofcourse there are bugs in 1.9 too, but there are no breaking ones that would be an excuse to not update.
    minecraft realy has fixed many performance problems in the past. 1.8 and 1.9 were a huge jump in performance for me. In vaniall, without shaders and optifine (optifine makes things worse for me) it jumped to from ~200 to ~ 350 in 1.8 up to ~500 in 1.9. If you have performance problems now that is really your problem. Using the latest drivers for your graphics card, the latest os and the latest java version you should be able to play it just fine, even on older hardware.

14. mathhulk

mathhulk Retired Moderator
    Retired

It's all based on opinion.

I personally didn't mind any changes besides the 1.9 ones.

I dropped 10 FPS from 1.8 - 1.9.

15. 1.9 lagggggs

16. Oh no, a whole 10 FPS? That's absolutely horrible. This game is now unplayable!

*cough *cough get a better pc *cough or this *cough *cough
    Seriously though, if your computer can't even run minecraft smoothly: It's time for an upgrade imo.

Also now you 1.8 users are super close to being 2 major releases behind.
    major is defined by the 'x' in 1.x not necessarily how big the changes are

#16 ME1312, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. there are some people that cannot afford a new computer. not my case.

18. ...and to them I say that's extremely unfortunate and I hope their finances get in better shape :)
    I say this because it doesn't take a very costly pc to run minecraft at a decent frame rate

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MiniDigger

Supporter

if 1.9 "laggggggs" then 1.8 and 1.7 lag way more. mojang introduced major performance increases in the latest versions

20. Personally when I had a server (not too long ago) I was 1.8 & 1.9 compatible purely because that was what the players wanted. I don't really mind 1.9 to be honest.