Solved A debugger

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by ZevoGaems, Feb 18, 2020.

1. I had an idea for a java debugger that allowed a person to run a minecraft server then run a debugger that can help in the development of plugins. I don't know if this would be useful or how I would even do it. How would I do it or is this even possible?

Also would it even be useful?

2. So you are trying to create something that your not aware of what's doing?

Debugger in what? reading every line of code that is going through? It's a complicated thing turned into couple words

What would the end goal be of it?

As of the moment people debugg plugins themself(by adding some type of confirmation)

• Like Like x 1
  3. A debugger so you can easily just put 1 line of code, set breakpoints, and have it run inside of MC. Is there already a way to run a debugger and have it run a server at the same time? I think doing Bukkit.getConsoleSender().sendMessage(bla bla bla); is just a horrible way of doing it. The end all goal is to make debugger easier for people.

4. Well as far as i know those debugger work with modifiying memory or the OP codes on processor,i dont think you are able to do these kind of thingswith a server,or depending on how much time you want to spend on it there might be some nasty ways out there

5. MiniDigger

Supporter

uuuuum, why not just use the debugger your ide includes?

just, start your server via your ide and you can set breakpoints, step thru line by line and much more.
    you even get simple hotswapping for free so you dont even need to restart your server if you change something simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you really think that is a horrible way to do it, is it because it takes time to type out?

If so you could always make a method like this one:

Code (Java):
    public sendPlayerMessage(String message, Player p){
        p.sendMessage(message);
    }
    That way instead of typing out:
    Code (Text):
    player.sendMessage("Insert long enough string to actually make the method above worthwhile");
    You type out:

Code (Java):
    sendPlayerMessage("Long enough string to make this method worth wasting time on", player)
    Granted if you change the method name to something shorter it might be worth it.

7. MiniDigger

Supporter

• Agree Agree x 1