Advice on choosing processor

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by RandomName123, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Hello,
    I made this topic to ask wich processor is better for hosting a bungeecord server with 14 sub-servers.
    I have to choose between 2 dedicated servers with Intel Xeon E5-1650V2 and Intel Xeon i7-7700k.
    Intel Xeon E5-1650V2 has 6 cores with 3,5 GHZ each,so 21 GHZ total cpu performance.
    Intel i7-7700k has 4 cores with 4,2 GHZ each, so 16,8 GHZ total cpu performance.

So if I have 7 spigot servers on each dedicated server, wich would be better ?

I know minecraft is single thread, but there are more servers than cores, and I think that total performance counts...
    I've found that Intel Xeon E5-1650V2 is server-ranged and i7-7700k desktop-ranged...and Intel Xeon E5-1650V2 has higher benchmark.

The price doesn't count, because that hosting company offers them for almost the same price and i7-7700k has setup fees.

Please help me,

Sorry for my bad english...I am not native...

#1 RandomName123, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Go for the E5. Because you have so many servers, the xeon is much better in this case. However, if you were to lower the server amount, the i7 would be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. md_5

Administrator Developer

E5-1650 is my favourite server CPU

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I would honestly trust md_5 here, he's a smart cookie.
    However, as I own an i7-7000K I can say it's a monster at hosting; I have never used the E5-1650 before so I won't comment on it, best of luck to you.

5. But I want to ask, if somebody knows, at what number of servers is Intel Xeon i7-7700k better ? I want to know.

6. Like 2 - 4. Also, just Intel I7-7700k. Not xeon.

7. electronicboy

IRC Staff

If you're running ~1-5, the i7 is in its ideal place in regards to instance/thread ratio to take advantage of the awesome single threaded performance, as soon as you go over a handful of servers, the number of cores available in an i7 become somewhat of a concern for performance and you lose the advantage fairly fast due to various aspects (expecting few cores to do lots of work, the kernel trying to balancing this task load as much as possible becomes a swine too), at which point the Xeon CPUs become really attractive due to their high core counts, having used the E5 series, I can say they pack a lot more punch for MC servers than they're credited for (mostly because oversold hosts...), so that is where I'd put my vote.