Solved Amazon Cloudfront CDN Implemented

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by md_5, Sep 24, 2013.

1. md_5

Administrator Developer

As a result of recent DDoS attacks against us, our Cloudflare service was temporarily suspended. This lead to the site being somewhat slower than we have all been used to, especially for those like me in Australia.
    As a result of this I have moved as many static assets as I can to an Amazon Cloudfront distribution. This should result in much better performance for everyone. Please let me know if any issues arise, and hopefully this doesn't cost too much :p.

As always, thanks
    ~Spigot Team

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Cool

3. md_5

Administrator Developer

I have not moved the attachments / avatars over to the CDN, only javascript/images. Attachments and avatars may be moved over later, depending on the cost.

4. AlexM850

Patron

Awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out. I hope this turns out for the best. :)

5. I don't understand why someone would want to ddos spigot... We are only making minecraft better... I could see if we were like competition or something but honestly we are the only working minecraft mod that's worth a damn. Why would anyone want to make us dissappear...

Also I thought you were teamed up with that hosting company that protects you from ddos? Why would cloudflare suspend your account? The whole point of CloudFlare is to protect against ddos and to cache pages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Great job :D
    The site is much faster now, than before for me :D

7. md_5

Administrator Developer

Yes, we don't use Cloudflare for DDoS protection, only for their caching and CDN. I disabled Cloudflare once the attack started so that Staminus could mitigate it, and after opening a ticket for some strict rules to be applied, they did that and the attack stopped.
    Cloudflare Free and Pro accounts will stop minor booters, however you need a business or enterprise account to stop a DDoS. A business account costs $200 a month, something we can't afford at this point in time, especially given we only get attacked once every month or two.

EDIT: Bottom line being I did the right thing to disable Cloudflare, however didn't do it fast enough, so they banned us for 7 days.

8. Ahh I see. I didn't know that cloudflare banned people for ddos if you don't have an enterprise account. I figured they would just automatically disable.

Any idea why anyone would want to ddos spigot?

I guess the real question is why would anyone want to ddos anyone because it's petty but I still don't understand why people are hating on spigot....

9. md_5

Administrator Developer

Yeah, by "ban" I mean disabled for 7 days. I really have no idea with regards to the other half of your question.

10. Well let us know how expensive this Cloudfront ends up being and I'll try and donate some money to help. I sure as hell wouldn't be making money if it wasn't for you. I figure you deserve some of it =)

11. md_5

Administrator Developer

Nah, we already use Cloudflare pro, thats $20 a month. We will go back to using it as soon as we can. For now its amazon cloudfront.

12. Ahh okay well I still suppose a donation is in order. I make way more than enough to support my server. When you add Google Wallet let us know!

Thanks again for devoting so much time and energy into maintaining an amazing product and community. It's safe to say spigot is probably the single most important minecraft mod for server owners like myself.

• Agree Agree x 2