Anti Piracy Idea

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Alex0589, Jul 21, 2018.

1. So I'm done with developing my premium plugin and I want to release it, but I want to add an anti Piracy system. I'm aware that this is impossible as:
    • Amyone can decompile my code and remove the check
    • Even if I obfuscate it anyone can deobfuscate it or get the assembly (think that would deobfuscate it)
    But than I though that maybe I can make the decompiler crash. Any Java decompiler transforms Java ByteCode in Java code. I think that if it finds an unknown character the Decompiled file would be null. But if I add some of this code to my code before builng the jar well also the compiler is going to get mad. So I though that maybe I can just add it after the src is compiled, but maybe then the jvm is going to throw an error. Complex stuff

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
  2. ScarabCoder

ScarabCoder Retired Resource Staff
    Retired

If the anti piracy system involes a) disabling any of the plugin features or b) giving you any (remote or not) control over the server, it won't be allowed here. Also, I believe premium resources must be decompilable by the staff here, due to the fact that Java plugins (like any application) can contain malicious code (enough to corrupt your machine) and must be caught by the staff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Well I guess that I'll just end up not adding it lol

4. ScarabCoder

ScarabCoder Retired Resource Staff
    Retired

Yeah, sorry. Because of the rules there isn't too much you can do to prevent piracy, but if we didn't have them it would be at the cost of the users downloading the plugin.

5. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Also, even if you do manage to crash every single decompiler ever, there's still other ways you can get around that

6. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Hell the perfect example for DRM/Anti-Piracy being bypassable is DENUVO and it being cracked by one person called Voksi
    if an entire company with a DRM/Anti-Piracy meant to protect your shit can't protect them selves from a single person, you're not going to be able to protect your stuff either

#6 Optic_Fusion1, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. If you go out of your way to crash a decompiler etc, when we buy it we will just go "have to go with a chargeback," post or review, with argument "because author went out of their way to hide something inside,o can't trust it", ..

It's your reputation, not ours

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

basically, you're never getting anything good :p

9. oh look it's another one of these

[​IMG]

10. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

hahah indeed, and i'm waiting for one of these posts to include an example plugin, just so i can remove the anti-piracy and then proceed to automate the removal of said anti-piracy just to prove an even bigger point xD

11. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/premium-resource-guidelines.31667/

Obfuscation / DRM
    • You are allowed to obfuscate your resources, however the decompiled code must be somewhat legible by staff. We may request you use a different obfuscator or none at all.
    • DRM systems are (provisionally allowed), with the following key caveats:
      • All resources must run directly from downloaded file without any manual installation steps or internet access. This means that licensing systems of any form are prohibited.
      • They must not interfere with any aspect of the server outside of the plugin itself.
      • We will treat all complaints of DRM abuse with the highest severity, which may result in immediate and permanent suspension of your resource unless sufficient evidence is provided.
      • We may request it be removed or altered at any time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

This has already been discussed a million times. You cannot piracy protect on-premise software. You’ll at most be able to delay the leaker.

Here’s my advice. Spend your time on improving your plugin and adding features instead of “piracy protection”. Focus on the people who support you; not the people who never will.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. This has to be a joke. Literally, just yesterday, another "anti-piracy suggestion" thread was posted.

If people are so concerned over a Minecraft server mod, then they should really re-evaluate what they want to do with their lives. Release your source for free. Have your JAR paid; those who pay will receive special support.

There's literally over 6 pages of results from Google having to do with Spigot antpiracy when I search "spigot anti piracy". I'm responsible for one of the results, too (a couple of years ago), having been flamed to oblivion for trying to come up with an ultimate DRM solution. Come on, people.

#14 Islandscout, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Okay Just calma down lol. In the yesterday's thread my possibility wasn't listed So I decided to create a new one. Also any person on earth uses a simple logic: if I can get this for free why should I buy it?

15. how is that any different from the logic: "if it runs on my machine, I can crack it" ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Because you want to support the author. It happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. It's not what I'm ring to do. Let's say you want to buy a new phone on Amazon it's 499 or you can got to the near store and get if for free(lol). It's actually obvious that I won't use amazon. Then I'll try to do stuff I'm not allowed from the company on my phone but I got it for free so..

18. Just saying that most of the times people would use a free thing instead of a paid one

19. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Make a LITE version with less features and is free, it would essentially allow users to demo your plugin before deciding if they should buy it
    Edit: quite a few people pirate just so they can see if the game/plugin is worth buying