Anti-Piracy

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by AllFather, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I'm looking to learn a little more about how to protect your exclusive plugins from piracy, beyond simple, easy-to-override methods. Would appreciate any reading of this sent my way, or somebody to explain in a private chat. Currently unpaid, however this will lead to development work in the near future.

Thanks,
    AllFather

2. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

If you plan on putting it on spigot, don't bother it will get bypassed

• Like Like x 1
  3. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

There's also the https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/premium-resource-guidelines.31667/

Obfuscation / DRM
    • You are allowed to obfuscate your resources, however the decompiled code must be somewhat legible by staff. We may request you use a different obfuscator or none at all.
    • DRM systems are (provisionally allowed), with the following key caveats:
      • All resources must run directly from downloaded file without any manual installation steps or internet access. This means that licensing systems of any form are prohibited.
      • They must not interfere with any aspect of the server outside of the plugin itself.
      • We will treat all complaints of DRM abuse with the highest severity, which may result in immediate and permanent suspension of your resource unless sufficient evidence is provided.
      • We may request it be removed or altered at any time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

On spigot, nothing will work as most of these systems are disallowed.

In day-to-day software, a DRM system such as the new Microsoft (365?) in which the software you download is simply a client and the actual majority of the software is run on machine hosted by them (at least thats my understanding of it).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

and if you were to do something like spigots default anti-piracy well, it takes me a minute and 45 seconds to remove it just to show how useless it is

• Like Like x 1
  6. You don't.

Just don't bother, any somewhat good attempt would be against the Spigot rules, if it's software which you pay for, it's gonna get cracked (unless as @TheJavaHacker mentioned it is a service). Some people tend to allow the piracy as a "try before you buy" and if anything it will maybe boost your sales. You can't stop pirates and DRM just annoys legitimate consumers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Actually, now that i think about it, if i were to make a program that automated the process of cracking spigots anti-piracy, it would take seconds, as for most anti-piracy methods, once a person is able to crack your anti-piracy/drm they can create a program that automates most if not all of the process, hell people are able to automate the removal of denuvo (or at least finding parts of it)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool, thanks for the info everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.