Any networks that use Windows OS?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Ganja_Boy, May 20, 2014.

1. JamesJ

Supporter

Congratulations!
    You don't know how to read dates!
    Achievement get!
    "First message is a stupid, ignorant bump!"
    Why is your profile pic the same as @jeff142's?

2. jeff142

Benefactor

Its not that rare of a image, tho mine is more HD then his :D

3. I wouldn't suggest using Windows as Linux will give your server a much better overall performance. It'll be a bit harder, but worth it.

4. I feel like people read my post... Laughed then continued on being in the Linux Master Race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought I would say something since no one has given a good answer yet.

A lot of people are saying that the performance of the minecraft server is better on a Linux server when compared to running on a Windows server. This is simply not true. While windows servers have more overhead (idle resource usage is higher), there should be no direct effect on the Spigot or Bungee instances. Anyone who claims otherwise probably wasn't managing their server correctly (they also probably were throwing 30 different conflicting and redundant startup flags at the JVM). As a lot of people have already stated, it's down to a matter of personal preference. Do know however, that running Windows server in a headless mode is not very useful, since some of its most powerful tools are GUI only.

My overall point is, don't let people shilling any server OS discourage you from using one over the other. Both are fine if you know how to utilize them properly. Besides, both Windows and Linux servers have a very large market share in the tech world, and no good IT professional knows just Windows or Linux systems.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. I've used multiple windows and linux servers, performance simply is better in linux for me.

7. How did you measure "performance"? Did you profile the JVM while running matching spigot setups with no plugins? Were you using the same java version on both servers? Was the Spigot server the only running process at the time besides what the system requires and the JVM profiler? If the answer to any of those questions was "no" your argument is invalid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. I measured what player count it began bottlenecking.
    Matching setups (no plugins).

Tested both windows and debian (6.0 at the time) on OpenJDK 7 on a couple machines-