Are SSDs worth getting?

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Asphodan, May 10, 2013.

1. I know that people subscribe to the idea that Faster Equals Better, but I'm wondering if there are documented cases of I/o being the bottleneck - only controllable by going Solid State.

What about whether or not to stripe your SSDs, worth it?

This is purely within the context of Minecraft, of course.

2. Best to have a mixture of them. From what I hear, it is best to run SQL on a SATA. Everything else on the SSD. SSD's load speed are much much faster. Chunks load much faster, the server starts faster, etc.

3. SSD's have way more IOPS, so I would think SQL would benefit from that.

4. I would have to say that SSD's are not necessarily but if you have the extra money go for it, and as for the performance they are much more efficient compared to SATA.

5. jeff142

Benefactor

Worth it, SSD are around 100$ now days, So why not use them?
    Also its not much of the bottle necking, but the gain in time you get reading/writing.

I dont know if its a massive gain, but with the prices i dont see why you wouldn't try it.

6. Its a huge gain IMO. Start times are so much faster, backups dont lag the server+they are faster. I have had SSDs in my personal machine for a good couple years now. I cant live without them, they're good if your impatient like me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SSD's differ in write algorithms, more caching then writing. As where SATA's are a set this write speed. SQL does a TON of writing compared to most every other program since it doesn't keep it in RAM, if puts it directly onto the SATA/SSD. Depends on your ways. It should work either way.

8. SuperSpyTX

Supporter

Definitely recommend having an normal HDD and SSD. SSDs tend to have a shorter lifespan if you do lots of writing (SQL wise, etc).

9. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

How the hell did you fill up the SSD already?

1. Zip up your backups, and use the free FTP backup that OVH offers.
    2. Purge old CoreProtect data
    3. Need more room, break the raid and use both drives

10. joehot200

Supporter

I do not know!!! I do not even know what is using the disk space!!!

Code (Text):

Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs          20906992 18578352   1280068  94% /
    /dev/root       20906992 18578352   1280068  94% /
    none             3284248      268   3283980   1% /run
    none                5120        0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none            16421232        4  16421228   1% /run/shm
    none              102400        0    102400   0% /run/user
    /dev/md2        95568208  1545404  89236888   2% /home

11. I don't see why you'd use raid with SSDs anywyas, apart from the redundancy when one fails... Though, if you just back-up regularly you can have twice the space and better performance (if running multiple servers).

12. LiLChris

Retired

OVH has Raid 1 by default, most people probably skip the backup part so having that as a seller is best so its less customer complaints when something goes wrong.

13. Code (Text):

cd /
    du -h --max-depth=1

Navigate through the rest, repeat as needed.
    You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joehot200

Supporter

*facepalm* why didnt someone tell me OVH had a $#~#%"£()@[email protected]@$£"% backup system.

How do i use OVH's backup system - and how do i unraid the two SSD's?

15. LiLChris

Retired

Check your control panel.

Only way to break the raid is to reinstall the OS.

16. joehot200

Supporter

12G ./world

:eek:...

Umm..

How does this make sense?

Code (Text):

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs          20G  18G  1.3G  94% /
    /dev/root        20G  18G  1.3G  94% /
    none            3.2G  268K  3.2G  1% /run
    none            5.0M    0  5.0M  0% /run/lock
    none            16G  4.0K  16G  1% /run/shm
    none            100M    0  100M  0% /run/user
    /dev/md2        92G  1.5G  86G  2% /home

17. Oh, lol'ed. Someone is putting their server in / instead of their home directory.

Look at last line, where it says /home has 86G free...

Bad practice candies all around!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GAWD! I'm so sorry, joehot200... I'm always flaming you, but you shouldn't be running a dedicated server. If you don't even know how to find out what's taking up your space, I doubt that you even do regular updates or have a clue on how to harden your system to make it secure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. joehot200

Supporter

20. joehot200, definitely not for once. People mostly agree with me (I know how ignorant that sounds).

@OP, go for a SSD. Even if its a smaller SSD, you can still put your backups and HD dynmap'n'stuffz on regular hard disks and - if your provider supports it - your FTP backup account. One or multiple SSDs will increase performance by a lot and as I'm using them since a couple of years now, I can say: I don't want to miss them.