Basic Guide for public server owners.

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Chenguang, May 21, 2017.

1. Basic Guide for public server owners. Is there any?

1. Limit amount of mobs spawned within the same chunk to prevent huge mob farms.

2. Limit world size. However, I'm not sure how it can help to save server resources.
    What is the problem with not limited world border? Can someone explain me? Please correct me if I'm wrong:
    Some amount of chunks are loaded around a player and, I suppose, RAM becomes an issue if everyone is off in separate areas.
    Nevertheless, players can be far enough from each other in separate areas either in 5k world and in 20k world. So what is the difference?
    In both cases, the same amount of RAM is used, no? So what IS the point to limit world size at all?

3. Prerender the map. There are not too much CPU expenses if a map is prerendered, right?
    Let's say I have 8k world. Should I prerender it all before start playing? Nowadays disc space is not a problem. Then what is the downside of prerendering?

4. What else should I do to properly manage server resources?

5. What about game exploits? Anti X-Rays and so on? Dishonest players - how can they possibly cheat and how to prevent them cheating?

It would be cool to have an article about this topic with advices for not advanced server owners like myself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Sinclare

Sinclare Previously xSinclare

I would search these forums. Lot's of information here.

3. Shux, I was expecting a guide.

-~-
    2. Limit world size. However, I'm not sure how it can help to save server resources.

It's nicer to operate a small map with proper backups that stays snappy, than having to upgrade to 8gb ram and have 10m lag every day to update some 32gb map because some jokers kept exploring to 100k on the map or teleporting around to 1 million constantly.

-~-
    3. Prerender the map. There are not too much CPU expenses if a map is prerendered, right?

yeah, if you have a world border it's recommended to pre-render those chunks, this way you dont have 25 + people in all sorts of directions loading up new things that still need to be rendered. In effect the data is already there flatfile on the system. A 'read' is a lot faster than a 'calculate, write, read'

-~-
    4. What else should I do to properly manage server resources?

You can think of stuff like, keep plugin count low, keep the spigot build up to date, and configure your resources. Giving CoreProtect unlimited storage on as many actions as possible on a big map with loads of people .. you can end up with 4gb .db files just for rollback which you might never need, because say.. you use towny already. So, think through what you have, what you need, what you want, and how they can work together ... scrap what is overkill. Or configure it at least to be reasonable.

You can also think of using a symlink to your read/write disk vs where mc actually runs from. You could spread your multiple game modes over multiple servers or at least hard drives, .. and use bungee for example to have a hub, so for the player it is as if it is one server.

Unload words you dont need. Got a bunch of test stuff? just unload it, you can always load them in on request.

Go with ssd storage, vs hdd, just for speed.

-~-
    5. What about game exploits? Anti X-Rays and so on? Dishonest players - how can they possibly cheat and how to prevent them cheating?

Yeah, take preventive measures, have active staff, review new comers, and have some tools in place that can scan logged data - and keep spigot and plugins up to date to avoid the use of exploits. Besides preventive measures, have some tools in place that help after the fact. Some stuff like CMI will help you better manage active players, even offline. And having the ability to properly punish a player and their friends (or whatever) and roll back any damage they've done, etc.. Will give you 'evidence' in a dispute, and keeps it fair for the server market, and players that didn't have anything to do with griefing, thieving, or xraying, etc. Don't run an offline server for example. You can also stay in contact with other admins and share bans, mcbans used to do that, as well as some bigger networks. if a user screws up here, they can't elsewhere (in that situation)

BASICALLY
    If you want to run a server, have a stable build running with only the plugins that you need. And there's no need to disclose your plugins to the public, besides the ones that they can use for features, like mcMMO or a jobs plugin. Second, run it in a way that works for you and the player. So it is online a lot. Have a separate test server so you can test bigger things, new features, permissions, etc. Without having to worry about the live server. And that live server, back it up frequently, so in any case you can quickly restore anything or use the data from it to restore tiny little things. Performance wise: ssd over hdd, and learn the tools you are using. It's a lot of work.

Handle disputes with users, be it them breaking just a simple rule, or having drama in global chat, or using an exploit .. handle it in private. The less attention spammers and abusers are getting, the less fun it is for them to keep trying.

#3 mrfloris, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Thx for your response, mrfloris!

To sum up:

1. Limit World Size
    Reason: It's nicer to operate a small map with proper backups (cheaters with a teleport can't travel too far)
    Plugin: World Border https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/worldborder . Is there better alternative?

2. Prerender Map
    Reason: A 'read' is a lot faster than a 'calculate, write, read'
    Plugin: World Border can do this as well.

3. Buckup.
    Reason: Protecting your server from data loss.
    Plugin: AutoSaveWorld https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/autosaveworld?gameCategorySlug=bukkit-plugins&projectID=38710 . Is there better alternative?

4. Limit mobs per chunk
    Reason: Mob farms preventing.
    Plugin: Which one should I use?

5. I also have a question about different hacks. They say hacked client cannot be stopped. "There are plugins designed to prevent hackers from using some of the more useful hacks, however there are flaws in every single one of the plugins."
    Source: https://hypixel.net/threads/lets-talk-about-hacks.374856/
    So, how to minimize risks?

5. A option for Limit mobs per chunk would be Stack Mobs?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks Scarpa18 for the advice!