Benefits of Populating all Ethernet Ports

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by buoobuoo, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Hey guys,
    I was looking at my server and see that there is 4 ethernet ports and a mgmt port. What are the benefits of populating all the ethernet ports aside from redundancy? The only thing i could thing of would be vms, but could i benefit from populating all of them on one os?

2. I don't think so.

3. Strahan

Benefactor

...huh? There is no "benefit". They are there for whatever reason you need them. VMs have no bearing on physical ports; while they can be bound to a physical ethernet port it is not necessary. You can have one ethernet port but 100 VMs with their own virtual ones.

4. Hi,

Apart from splitting the traffic for public/Mgt/Storage(Maybe)/redundancy/etc .. No

5. Though more obvious but if your in a situation where...
    100Mbpsx3 is cheaper than say
    1Gbps single NIC

Then you could have the 100Mbpsx3 run as all "active:active" to net yourself a 300Mbps rate PLUS not "losing all power" if a port or cable "dies" on you. Possibly buying you time to get to the data center or ringing them up to service it for you if your renting/paying for hands.

So a multiport system could sometimes bring the "best of both worlds" where you have some redundancy while still not paying for JUST redundancy.