1. We are planning scheduled maintenance on this website on Friday 5 March (tomorrow) at 4:00 am UTC. It is estimated that this maintenance will last 15 minutes. You can view this time in your local timezone here. Thanks.
    Dismiss Notice

Best OS for Minecraft

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Outlaw11A, May 9, 2013.

1. Outlaw11A

Supporter

Hey Spigot!

Just wondering, what is the best OS (Operating System) for running a Minecraft server on? I heard CentOS was the best?

cheerssss

2. jtaylor69

jtaylor69 Retired Moderator
    Retired

CentOS is very lightweight as most of the time, it's installed without a GUI thus less RAM and CPU usage.
    I personally use CentOS combined with CPanel, makes my life easier for an expense of £20 a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. md_5

Administrator Developer

Debian 7

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. jeff142

Benefactor

Debian or ubuntu
    Not much a fan for centOS for mc

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It is often a matter of opinion. But the main contenders are Debian or CentOS. Personally I prefer CentOS. If you choose to dive in and skip CPanel, it can be quite easy to pick up a command line based OS, which depending upon your future ambitions (IT?), may be helpful etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Debian is the best, but I unfortunately only learned linux using ubuntu, so that's what I use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeff142

Benefactor

Same reason i use it, i use it as my main desktop os, and every thing else runs it, its just easyto use what you know.
    If you had to learn one, i would have to side on Debian

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Why is it better than CentOS/Ubuntu Server though?

I just did a quick Google (centos vs debian) and found http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1546408-centos-vs-ubuntu-vs-debian-large-server/ They have a brief discussion which doesn't really say anything - apart from differing Kernals and familiarity with Redhat... (as reasons to choose).

I am wondering what your 2 cents are for the differences (and why one is better).

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeff142

Benefactor

Why is coke better then Pepsi?

Its mostly a personal thing, pick one, run it learn it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. See I was planning on playing around with ubuntu because I heard that's what's most commonly used for larger MC servers, why do you say Debian is best?

11. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

I just have grown fond of it over the years of using it now. It may not exactly be better than ubuntu, but I have a personal attachment to it now.

12. jtaylor69

Retired

I installed GNOME onto my CentOS and I sit there and stare at all the pretty lines in system monitor.
    Although that does sound very sad, it's great to see how players and plugin use affects RAM and CPU.

13. Part of the advantage from using a command line OS is that you save the resources that would otherwise be needed to run a GUI.
    If you are determined to get some pretty statistics, there are web UIs available which would use less resources. One I am keen to try is http://ajenti.org/, http://www.webmin.com/ is another alternative.

Or you can try 'htop' which is a CPU/RAM monitor which shows running processes etc.

14. jtaylor69

Retired

I use both, however with a GUI, I can easily tinker with the server files as well as my WHM also lets me see the active processes, Munin etc but I just can't get enough of them squiggly lines in system monitor :p
    The actual usage of the GUI is quite minimal still, about 250Mb or so as it's Gnome 2 with VNC.
    My MC servers do not show under processes as they are managed through my Multicraft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. externo6

Supporter

What is it with you and Web UI's :p you pushed prism for its web UI and we dont even use it! (at least thats how I remember it :confused: )
    I have htop on my 2nd monitor, just dancing around for my own amusement. Pretty lines and colours :D

I like both Debian and CentOS, but we use CentOS for our servers.
    Id quite like to try Debian for one of our servers but LukeHandle's startup script calls things specific to CentOS which I could never be bothered to look into fixing it for Debian (lazy me showing...) although I doubt it would make little to any difference in performance.

#15 externo6, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  16. I'm having the same question too. Getting a new server tomorrow and I'm considering getting that. I use Ubuntu at home, but I'm not sure it would be the best performance-wise. Ubuntu is great for visual effects though! And yeah, I tend to steer clear of GUIs. It's better to make it less laggy for the players than have some fun lines to look at imo. (Although I'm sure it doesn't use up that much resources)

17. Just use a light weight Linux distribution. I use Ubuntu and also Gentoo.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

I started with Ubuntu Server since I was a Linux newbie, probably never going to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wazez

Patron

windows 8.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeff142

Benefactor

Your dunk wazez