Best way to learn the Spigot API

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Flyin, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hey Everyone!

For quite some time I have been making plugins for private use on my own servers. I have always had the problem that I am lacking a lot of necessary knowledge to make what I want. I have watched the tutorials by the TheBCBroz but a lot of the information he gives no longer works or is not efficient. I have also watched a lot like 1 - 40 of pogostick29dev's tutorials but a lot of information is left out. TheBCBroz started a new coding series but he has not continued that. What I am looking for is a good, current, tutorial series that I can learn a lot of the essentials, just for review, as well as advanced code and techniques that may be useful in large scale plugins.

If anyone knows of anything that would help I would much appreciate the feedback. The more help the better :D

Thanks,
    Flyin

#1 Flyin, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. What about your Java knowledge?

3. I am currently a high school student taking a computer science course. In that course I will be getting to java next year :/ As far as my knowledge goes right know it is all just from tutorials of bukkit/spigot.

4. First learn java there are several threads on this topic already. Second youtube series ar nor a good way to learn because they use inefficient code and static abuse. Finally just read the spigot docs

5. Thanks for the suggestions, I for one find it very hard to learn from a docs because it does not illustrate how you put it all together. I have always used it is more as a reference if I need more information on something specific. On the note of youtube, I have learned a lot from tutorials series although you are correct in the fact that you have to be careful with what you use.

6. I would reccomended pogo stick and sgtcaze as well as the docs are a great help

7. I watched tutorials for a few months and just followed what they said. Because I didn't have the CS class in my school available until I was a junior (3 years) I bought Head First Java and just corrected the YouTube people's mistakes and implemented better ways to do things. This way understood how to actually make a plugin.

Also, the Spigot/Bukkit wiki is very helpful

Also, a good way to learn is looking at other peoples github for plugins and seeing how they did things

• Like Like x 1
  8. Learn java. It helps honestly.

9. Thanks for the suggestions! Do either of you know any good tutorials series?

10. For Java?

11. Thanks! I have gone through all of sgtcaze's tutorials but will take a look at them again to see if I can get more out of them know. :)

12. Yes

13. Yes I like them because them can teach you specific aspects on how to use the api, this goes the same for pogo

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks to the both of you :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. No problem!

16. How I learnt and what I think is the most effective is to just dive into it. I think very logically already and always have so I know what I want to do in what order in my plugins.

What I would suggest is to setup a comment at the top of your project as a todo list.

/*
    * how to make multiline comments
    */

I will give you an example for a simple spawn plugin.

1. setup methods:
    - save spawn
    - load spawn
    - send to spawn
    2. setup commands:
    - setspawn
    - spawn
    - spawn player
    3. link the commands and methods

Using this you will be able to go through your plans in an orderly fashion adding to it if you forgot something.
    What I do is use the bukkit/spigot forums alot when my knowledge reveals gaps.

for example if I was struggling with loading the spawn coords to variables I would search for "how to call values from a yml file spigot"
    I would then implement the new knowledge I have gained.

NOTE: many people will get mad and I know. I learn this way because I can remember what I learn and picking up small parts of code over time works for me however this is not for everyone.

Try to avoid copy and pasting code also, even if you understand all of the code you may have found type it out in your own way with your own variables and spacing as if you go back to your code you need to understand it if a problem surfaces.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, that goes for anyone reading :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Java for dunnies is a great book, if you have $20 I would recommend it! The humor is quite... bizarre too, which I like!

• Like Like x 2
  18. This is really great! Thanks m8. I for one am very much like you in the idea of picking up code here and there. That is how I have leaned most of the more complicated stuff.

I have heard of this book and wondered if it was worth it. Thanks for the reply :)

19. I'm not saying Java for Dummies is a bad book but when compared to Head First Java, Head First Java has a way better teaching method. When I was in your position I got really annoyed because everyone kept feeding me tutorials and I'm like uhh which one do I choose?!?!?

So I decided for myself, videos were eh: you can just go on watching videos without actually remembering things. I don't recommend any Java videos, I watched a whole playlist and didn't get that much out of it. You should get a good book, that tends to stick more. Books go through tons of edits and reviews until published, videos are just by some guy who has some extra time, I'd much rather a professional book than a watch and make an app tutorial series for example.

Read the first chapter, trust me it's worth it they have amazing explanations to things and it makes a ton of sense:
    https://zimslifeintcs.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/head-first-java-2nd-edition.pdf

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1