Broken Pipe [SOLUTION?]

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by NickFirenzoo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. After a while, the server automatically go off with some error of multicraft panel or under the name 'broken pipe' and does not give any Crash panel/crash report or similar, just simply stop the server into a few sentences below.

Spigot version: CraftBukkit version git-PaperSpigot-e0cb11b-07c3001 (MC: 1.8.8) (Implementing API version 1.8.8-R0.1-SNAPSHOT

Multicraft log:
    http://pastebin.com/bC8m3ypQ
    [Only this about 'Broken pipe', absolutely no other error all the time under the same]

Plugins (32): WorldEdit, Essentials, GroupManager, ClearLag, TuxTwoLib, ChatControl, SamistineSignFix, ScheduledAnnouncer2, BukkitHiddenSyntaxBlocker, PvP_Health, EPearlCooldown, WorldGuard, ProtocolLib, LibsDisguises, NoCheatPlus, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsChat, EssentialsAntiBuild, ServerConnect, SuperVanish, Vault, EssentialsSpawn, MyCommand, PlayerHeads, MultiInv, HolographicDisplays, LiteBans, SilkSpawners, Factions, LimitedCreative, CombatLog, InfoBoardReborn

2. You got a skype?

3. The error is caused by Multicraft (Not Spigot in anyway). Is this a self hosted dedicated server or shared hosting?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Make sure your java is updated.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Using Java 8u72

6. Using multicraft 2.0 panel, CentOS 7.
    On spigot server where joined more than ~90 players server shutting down with error broken pipe, without errors or warns in console :(

7. Hey there Nick, could you verify that you have enough disk space? Java sometimes writes data to /tmp and can't when there's no room left.

8. There might be a player in a corrupted chunk I had it happen once. whenever they try to join the server restarts on an error. Try a world repairer.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. This occurred to me a while back with my server, Basically the machine that is hosting your server has had problems with its internal java so your best bet is to send in a ticket to your hosting company and ask them to change your panel you could try and demand a refund for the downtime but you may not get it depending on how soft your host is!

Hope I helped! :D

10. Disk space has more than 70GB available space.

11. Dedicated server was preinstalled of CentOS 6 and Multicraft 1.8. Now dedicated server has CentOS 7 and Multicraft 2.0 version.[Sure, with backup of all servers]

12. Already trying. :(

13. Could you reboot your dedicated server (if you've not done so already)? Broken pipes can be from multiple things, once had them due to a faulty stick of RAM, not the most recent Java, using G1GC as garbage collector.

14. I have already restarted dedicated server - no changes
    Spigot server is still on 6144MB RAM
    All time shutting down only spigot server, other servers on a network have no problems. I don't know why when server shutting down has NO errors or warns, only say: Broken pipe :(

15. if the world thing doesn't work PM me your skype.

16. that could be your problem

17. Try running it independently in a screen. I did that and then realized my network was allocating too much space, so it would give broken pipes randomly like that.

18. Clear your /tmp folder

19. CHMOD you're server plugin folder with permission 755, but not the content inside. (*Only folder*) , Cause i had this issue and doing that fixed it.

20. Broken pipe is a JVM error which usually occurs when something tries to write something through a connection when the connection has already been closed from the other side. In this case, to me it looks like the server is cutting connection to multicraft and then it cannot write anything to it any longer, causing a broken pipe issue. This could possibly be the cause of a plugin, so I suggest removing 5 at a time and seeing if it stops happening.
    It could also be in your Multicraft's startup options - if you could post them that would be great, it should be something like
    Code (Text):
    java -Xmx8G -Xms4G -jar spigot-1.8.8.jar
    I've heard including GC options in your startup flags can actually cause problems, and potentially broken pipes.
    Finally it could also be faulty RAM. You should ask your hosts to check the RAM on the machine, and if it is a dedicated server you should definitely consider running memtester to check the integrity of your RAM. You can find a guide on how to do so here.

Good luck!