Building a server.. can I handle hosting?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by shadok92, May 20, 2016.

1. I'm putting my server together in a few days and wanted to ask how well I'll be able to handle hosting. I'm hoping to be able to handle at least 100 players and about 10 or so plugins. I'll probably also host a website and TeamSpeak3 server off of the same server. I have 100mbps upload/ 100mbps download.

Here is my parts list.

For my OS, I'll be running an Ubuntu server distro. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. This should work... I'm not sure how much CPU power it takes, to handle 100 players, but I would recommend to use debian :D

3. I don't recommend home-hosting, it's very bad and unstable.

4. Tux

Tux

You're not getting the best per dollar with that AMD setup, especially as you want 100 players. Try looking at Intel Core i7s or a Xeon instead.

5. I did it a long time by myself and I've never had any problems, as long as you don't use Wi-Fi for networking... xD

6. I'd ditch 16GB of the RAM and upgrade the CPU

7. I encourage home-hosting, it's worked out just fine for myself! All the best with your server ;)

8. Have you actually done it? I'm not completely clueless when it comes to server hosting- I'm a full-time software engineer and about half of my projects heavily involve networking. I want a home server to use as a development platform for personal projects, so lumping my Minecraft server in will save me money. I have 4 active VPSs up at the moment, and my goal is to close them all.

I have stable internet, stable power, and I know how to backup. I'm not worried about stability so much as performance. I've run Minecraft on a VPS that speedtests lower than my home network so I'm not all that concerned there either. My only real concern is how Minecraft handles CPU usage since I know it's core utilization is shit.

9. You're going to try to allocate jobs to core's in a AMD CPU? AMD is well known for executing multi threaded tasks with ease, not single threaded tasks. I would still highly recommend intel either way as it:
    1. Doesn't bellow out as much heat as an oven
    2. Because it is energy efficient (well the chip I have recommended) so it will not consume asa many watt's as it needs. Right there you are powering a weak quad core (not meant for anything that requires the pc to be on for more than 12 hours to do continuous intense tasks
    ) and some GPU cores that are meant for light gaming, which may I add you don't need for a server computer unless it's a encrypting and decrypting, video processing or bitcoin (or an equivalent) machine and still I would recommend getting a separate graphic's card along with a Intel CPU as it will do you better than a APU.

EDIT: You'll also find that going with Intel will increase your server performance (depending on which chip you go for, I have heard that (for the start) Intel Core I5's are the sweet spot or if you have a slightly bigger budget high performance quad core hyper threaded single CPU Xeon processors work charms).

#11 TheMasteredPanda, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016