Building Dedicated Server - Xeon or Core?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by amonly, Sep 25, 2020.

1. I have been paying a host for 1 year, and it made me want to build my own dedicated server, so I found out and I have doubts about the following

**** A home Pc Server - Core Proccesor

• Intel CORE i9-9900k 3.6Ghz
    • MSI S1151 MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK BOX ATX
    • DRR4 16Gb 3200Mhz
    • SSD 480Gb
    • THERMALAKE 700W SMART 80PLUS
    The price is in Argentine peso, but converted to dollars they are: 758Usd

But at this moment I thought, how do I cool the cpu? A water cooler would be about 150usd more, but would it be enough? how much is needed to keep it at temperature and when it supports if it is always 24/7

So those who were going to sell me told me, why not buy a server that they are prepared for that

**** Or server by it self - Xeon Proccesor

Like: Tower Dell T40 Server

• Xeon E3-2224v5
    • DDR4 16Gb 2666Mhz

And the price with some ram and disk modifiations is compared to the old one

The thing is, I'm in doubt and I don't know what to do, what is the best, better performance or more autonomy? Stability, cooling, durability, etc. What do you have? and what do you think?

2. Are you planning on building then colocating the server, or are you going to be home hosting?

You really don't need to water cool a 9900K, even with turbo limits removed a good air cooler is more than sufficient to handle any heat output. The only exception I can think of is if you're trying to significantly overclock it.

3. Yes, make a single server.

That's why I ask, I don't know how much cooling a server needs

4. Do you have some experience under your belt when it comes to managing a server node?

5. I have always managed dedicated servers remotely, never hardware maintenance But I am more interested in knowing what type of configuration, xeon or core regarding efficiency and durability