BuildTool - Spigot 1.16.5 - 1.17 confused

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by KS6071, Jul 2, 2021.

1. I'm a bit confused about this BuildTool, but is it correct that it is used to create the spigot jar file and nothing else ? Can I delete the BuildTool folder after the creation of the spigot jar file or does the game use the BuildTool folders while running ?

Another thing that confuses me is that if I run the BuildTool with this command (se below) I get Spigot 1.16.5. I thought I would get that latest version 1.17 ?
    @Echo off
    IF NOT EXIST BuildTools (
    mkdir BuildTools
    )
    cd BuildTools
    curl -z BuildTools.jar -o BuildTools.jar https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar
    set /p Input=Enter the version: || set Input=latest
    java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev %Input%
    pause

If I use this command to run BuildTool I get version 1.17 so it seems that this is the one I should use to get the latest version - I hope ?
    java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev 1.17

2. The BuildTools folder is not used while the game is running.

3. Here are a few things to say:

1. 1.17 is not yet the default version of BuildTools. In the future it will be, but it's not yet the case.

2. You don't need BuildTools to run the server, you only need the artifact jar (aka. The spigot jar).

3. While you could remove BuildTools from your computer after building, I personally don't recommend it. The reason is that as you may have noticed, it takes a very long time to run BuildTools the first time. However, if you want to update the Spigot version to include upcoming patches (which are released quite frequently), it will take much less to re-run. If you delete BuildTools and/or your Maven cache, it updating Spigot will take just asking as generating it the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. We are in the year 2021 or in other words in the year 7th year after dcma and the switch to buildtools. If you're running a Spigot server for multiple years and didn't come in touch with buildtools until now, you basically used illegal ways of getting the jar in the last years.

5. Where did he say, he runs a server for multiple years? Also he could be using Shared host, which does it for him.

6. Never said that. If is the condition here. If he isn't running one, it's perfectly fine.