Bukkit API vs Spigot API

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by EvilPeanut, May 27, 2013.

1. Hello,

What is the difference between the bukkit API and the spigot API

Thanks,
    Reece

2. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

Spigot's API is exactly the same as Bukkit's I believe, except maybe for the PlayerItemDamageEvent. Remember, Spigot is a fork of CraftBukkit/Bukkit.

3. I believe there are a few APIs, and from the very little I looked into making plugins, you *should* build against the Bukkit API to allow compatibility with forks of Bukkit. If you build against the CraftBukkit API you are likely to break things in the forks/not work because the API isn't present or something /NotSure

To allow plugin compatibility I would expect the Bukkit API to be present fully(?) within Spigot.

Now, hopefully someone with some actual knowledge can come along and disagree with everything I just said and give a proper answer.

4. The Spigot API is still underway, if you need any API's just contact md_5, make a pull request, open an issue, anything of that nature, and he will put in whatever he can.

5. joehot200

Supporter

*As far as i know*, spigot API has no differences to the bukkit API, just a few extras.

I believe there is API that gets the the TPS (Something like bukkit.getTPS, but cant remember), and maybe a few other additions bukkit does not have, however if you make a plugin with bukkit, 99% of the time (depending on what methods you are using etc) it will work with spigot.

• Useful Useful x 2