Solved Can hackers connect in offline-mode?

Discussion in 'BungeeCord Help' started by meandelsa, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In each of the Spigot servers the config says offline-mode: true. That way makes it possible to use BungeeCord.
    In the BungeeCord config it says offline-mode: false. My question is: With these settings, is it possible for hackers to connect in offline-mode with any username they choose? If so, can you tell me how to prevent this? Thanks!

2. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Basically: Install and configure your stuff properly and that isn't an issue. i.e. you want bungeecord in online mode, not offline mode. Spigot servers should be in offline mode with bungeecord mode enabled to allow bungee to connect and forward uuid/ip info of players, and then secure your stuff using a firewall: https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/firewall-guide/
    If you're using shared hosting, you'll need to find a plugin, but really: Shared hosting for bungeecord sucks.

3. If your server is in online mode, no a player can't join with any name. If you want to use bungee, which requires offline mode, set up a firewall as suggested above and drop in a plugin like ProxyJoinOnly.

4. Do I need this plugin if the hub server is default and when you join you get sent to the hub server? As said above... I don't think I need to because the firewall option seems to work fine!

5. Not at all, though I do recommend it as an additional layer of security.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you! The issue has been solved! I'm closing this thread now.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.