Can I keep my world when upgrading from 1.12.2 to 1.14?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Klawdek, Apr 20, 2019.

1. I want to upgrade an online server from 1.12.2 to 1.14.x (whatever ends up being stable) I understand there is a way to convert an existing 1.12.2 world into 1.14 and that when that is done chunks already loaded will remain 1.12.2 and new chunks will generate as 1.14. My question is will the NBT tag format remain the same old format in the 1.12.2 chunks? Or is it just that it will be populated with the old blocks but the new tag format will be used to specify those blocks? I ask this because I am guessing that plugins would throw a fit over 2 different tag types but there should be no plugin problems if the tags are all in the new flattened format.

2. Upgrading your server version is perfectly safe provided it is a stable build you are upgrading to. Problems start if you were to downgrade to a lower version.

3. Only real difference would be if you generate new chunks, it wouldn't be smooth from the new chunks to old chunks. As far as I'm aware, you can use a 1.12 world on a 1.13+ server but not vice versa.

4. Backup Recommend

5. It was recommended that from a 1.12 -> 1.13 upgrade you use a clean world. From personal experience, I would do that as well. However as long as you are updating to a stable and updated server / MC version, you should be perfectly fine.

Would definitely recommend backing up your world file for sure. It's always good practice :)

6. Yes, you can keep your old worlds.

Important things to consider when updating:

Do a backup first.

Then update 1.12.2 to 1.13.2 first by starting a 1.13.2 server with those worlds and the server parameter --forceUpgrade.

When the upgrade to 1.13.2 is completed you can start a 1.14 server, again with --forceUpgrade.

The --forceUpgrade parameter ensures that all chunks are converted to the new storage format. This will avoid errors and reduce lags in the future. You need that parameter only once after you upgrade to a new version. After that just start without that parameter to have a much better startup time.

Another thing you should check is if all plugins you need are available for 1.13/1.14. There have been important changes so many not updated plugins for 1.12 will not work correctly in an 1.13/1.14 server.