Can I run a single 64GB server without too many issues?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by MadDoesMinecraft, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I'd like to run a factions server, and I've got about 400 concurrent players in mind. Can I run a single 64GB server, and will Minecraft even handle it? Thanks, Mad.

2. I would highly doubts this even on the fastest 5950X or 11900K rigs.

Most game servers including Minecraft are largely single threaded (they can and DO use multiple threads but a good portion of the workloads are still on a particular thread at a time).

At such high players' portions, the RAM isn't what should be concerned but the fact the game probably won't be able to process that many players at once because of what I said above.

You would make a lot more senses to divvy up the RAM into 12GB or so instances instead.

3. How many players max can a single server support and how much RAM can it support too?

4. No. You absolutely cannot. RAM is really not the bottleneck for 400 players. Besides that, the server would kill itself trying to clean up 50GB of garbage after running for an hour. Stick to 8 max, maybe 10 if you really need it. Adding more RAM does not mean adding more players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. EXACTLY, gotta loves it when you can find shared hosts advertising 16GB, 24GB, 32GB if not even upwards of 48GB packages with "suggested" player counts to unrealistically match! :eek:

In all seriousness CPU and IOPS are just as important (if not more) than RAM and it's speeds as well.

6. Alright, thanks everyone for the help. (I'm just asking this question for another friend, I don't personally have 400 players waiting, though I wish I did).

7. You are very welcome. :)