Solved Can I use <redacted> to update my spigot server?

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by Yemto, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm wondering if I can use <redacted mirror> to download the non-api jar I want, and replace the one I have in my server folder? The reason I ask is because they all say snapshot, so I'm not sure if the 1.12.2 (or later) are stable releases or not.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I can use the buildtools to update. I just prefer to replace the jar file, instead of building a new one with the buildtools.

2. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

BuildTools is your safest bet. Any illegal website such as <redacted> is the WORST place to get downloads.

#2 TheJavaHacker, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Is there any legal website where I can just download a stable build of the spigot.jar? I tried to update with the BuildTools but it doesn't seem to replace the jars, and leaves the server folder with what I considered unnecessary bloat.

#3 Yemto, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  4. Just use BuildTools and then replace the jars, instead of running BuildTools within your server directory.

5. The problem is that BuiltTools.jar still don't want to update the jars, so I had to write a script to get that to work, which is one of the reason why I don't like the buildtools.

Code (Text):
    #Remove all downloaded files
    rm -fr ./buildtools
    mkdir  ./buildtools

#Copy BuildTools into the recreated folder, and enter it
    cp ./BuildTools.jar ./buildtools/BuildTools.jar
    cd ./buildtools

#Build the new jars
    java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev 1.12.2

#Move them out from the build folder
    mv ./Spigot/Spigot-Server/target/spigot-* ../spigot.jar
    mv ./Spigot/Spigot-API/target/spigot-*-shaded.jar ../spigot-api.jar

6. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Due to various DMCA issues and such, you're never going to find a website that does this thing legally

7. I just remember back in the day before Spigot where Bukkit had a website where they uploaded different builds like that, and labeled them experimental and recommended. Guess those days are over.

Edit: Well, at least I now have a functional update script.

8. MiniDigger

Supporter

The dmca got nothing to do with this.
    Mojangs Eula doesn't allow distributing the vanilla server jar, that's why spigot odesnt do it. That's it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Strahan

Benefactor

Oh the humanity! You had to write a script!? Why can't server administration be point and click, amirite? Having to do such onerous things as write seven lines in a bash script. They ask too much of us I tell you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

The DMCA response to the last was due to https://web.archive.org/web/20170720191104/http://bukkit.gamepedia.com:80/FAQ

"Where can I get it?
    Right now, You Can't!! This content is unavailable as the direct result of a DMCA takedown request.

There is no official download."

11. Choco

The server jar is not to be distributed as per Mojang's ToS which were agreed to upon the creation of your account. Any mirror website is hosting those files illegally and should not be used as the jars may very well be tampered with. SpigotMC provides BuildTools not to spite server owners and developers, but as a legal loophole which compiles the server jar on your own system without distributing it. If you're having any issues with BuildTools, see the wiki page.

I've since redacted any mention of the mirror from this thread. Please refrain from mentioning it

This was unrelated. The downloads were not available because they contained Wesley Wolfe's (the DMCA initiator) code. Back then, CraftBukkit was still breaking Mojang's Tos. Server distribution was (and still is) hardly enforced. If it were, we wouldn't have these illegal mirrors still existing today. Spigot created BuildTools as a precautionary measure to ensure Mojang could not take legal action.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Strahan

Benefactor

Legality issues don't bother me, IMO this is the real reason you'd be silly to use distributed jars over making your own.

13. MiniDigger

Supporter

The dmca was only possible because craftbukkit violated it's own licence by including nms. By fixing that, the dmca got invalid.
    Distribution of the vanilla jar was never allowed and spigot finally complied with that after legal consultation.

14. I see it more as, why can't the developers finish their BuildTools, it wouldn't take 7 lines of code to make the BuildTools output the jar files into the same directory as the BuildTools.jar, instead I have to pick up their slack, find where they put the jars, and move them into the proper place. They can't even make the BuildTools clean up after itself, so it's ready if I want to change version.

15. MiniDigger

Supporter

Not sure what you are talking about. If it runs successfully, it will copy the final jars next to your buildtools jar.

16. Running this for example
    Code (Text):
    java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev 1.12.2
    java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev 1.13
    Wouldn't work, the server still would run 1.12.2 I have to delete every directory BuildTools.jar makes, then run --rev 1.13 for it to spit out the 1.13 jars.

17. MiniDigger

Supporter

Well, for some reason it doesn't run successfully then. Let it running till it finishes, then get the log, paste it to some paste service and share it here so we can take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.