Can't Join My Friends Local Host Server

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by Shiftqd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. So I am over at my friends house and he has a server. He is hosting it on his wifi network and I am connected to it but when I try to join Via Public IP (and IPv4) it does not work. Fix?

2. ive even tried adding :25565 to the end of both

3. He can download ngrok so he can start a TCP tunnel. You can join with the IP ngrok gives in the cmd prompt window.

4. Strahan

Benefactor

You certainly don't want to use the public IP. I assume by IPv4 you mean his internal IP. IPv4 has no bearing on public or private by the way. Anyway.. if he has a firewall, be sure he allows TCP 25565 through.

5. If you are at your friends local network you should use local IP address of his server to connect. It is the one which looks like 192.168.x.x.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Strahan

Benefactor

Yep. Or it may be 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x through 172.32.x.x, though 192.168 is the most common.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Firewall bois, Make sure port 25565 is open in the firewall

8. You also need to check your router settings. Your friend has to open the port 25565 for his IP address.

9. or just "localhost"

10. Strahan

Benefactor

That won't work.

If you are at your friends local network you should use local IP address of his server to connect.

He's talking about a friend joining a server, not playing on his own. If you are at a friends house and he is running a server on his box, localhost will never get you to connect as it would be trying to join an MC server on your own box.

11. If he is at his friends house, connected to his friend's local network, then localhost will work just fine. If he is connecting from another location then he will need to use the public IP.

12. *biggest facepalm ever*
    No, it will simply not work, localhost is a local host hosted on your own computer which does not need an internet connection.
    If they are on the same Wifi network he can simply use his IPv4 address, otherwise, he has to use the IP-address.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Strahan

Benefactor

You don't understand what localhost means. It's just a name for 127.0.0.1 - your own PC. You can never use localhost to connect to any computer other than your own. You can't even force it with a hosts file. Doesn't matter if you are on a private (local) network. It has fuckall to do with that.

14. Ok in case you still need help here is the simple fix!!!

(Assuming you are on windows and your friend is connected to your home network)
    • Open up your Command Prompt. You may do that by opening your start menu and searching for cmd, or googling if you are stuck.
    • type "ipconfig all" and hit enter. No quotation marks
    • Look to find the IPv4 address. This is your computers IP on your local network.
    • Have your friedn enter that address in the "Direct Connect" tab of minecraft, and he should join your server!
    If that doesn't work, check your firewall ect... but it should be as simple as that!

15. Strahan

Benefactor

Agreed, except "all" isn't required for just getting an IP from ipconfig. All will dump more information than required.