Client updating resource packs doesn't work

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by retrodaredevil, May 26, 2016.

1. When ever I update my resource pack on dropbox then log back into my server and download the resource pack, it doesn't update. (I'm not using the resource pack thing in the server.properties) The javadoc says this:

"The player's client will download the new resource pack asynchronously in the background, and will automatically switch to it once the download is complete. If the client has downloaded and cached the same resource pack in the past, it will perform a quick timestamp check over the network to determine if the resource pack has changed and needs to be downloaded again. When this request is sent for the very first time from a given server, the client will first display a confirmation GUI to the player before proceeding with the download."

But it seems that is incorrect. Is this a client side thing where I have to delete the resource pack in the server-resource-pack folder, do I have to use a different URL every time, or is this a problem with spigot?

Would sending packets instead of using the api help? I'd appreciate any info I can get on this as it doesn't seem to be updating like it used to (I think it did this in 1.8)
    Also I'm on 1.9.0 instead of 1.9.4 running 158 versions behind. Could it have been fixed in a past update?

2. Dropbox is a bit iffy when downloading things. You have to change the URL to directly download the file, rather than going to the file's download page. Also, do remember that Dropbox does has limits when downloading from their servers.

Edit:
    Change the ending "dl=0" to "dl=1" in the URL should resolve the issue, provided you don't have any restrictions to their servers.

3. I've already done the =1 thing awhile ago. The resource pack downloads but when I log into the server when I have an outdated version of the pack, it doesn't update.

4. Have you tried doing the things you suggested? Those seem like a good way to start.

5. What do you mean by 'change the url'? Like change the url every time someone downloads it? Or use another website to do so?

7. I already told you that I did that. If I didn't the resource pack wouldn't download. If the resource pack isn't in the server resource packs folder it won't update. Just wondering how I would get it to update, if that's normal, and how to fix it.

8. A bit more information would help

Is there a resource pack in the server.properties

do you have a resource pack on when trying to "update" it?

have you tried listening for the ResourcePackStatusEvent if so does it return anything?

have you tried making sure the resource pack works without the updating factor?

Also, any other details that could help would be useful.