Coding/Programming plugins

Discussion in 'Programming' started by enander1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. I recently posted a thread on how I could learn how to code plugins and got different answers. For example YouTube, but I don't think that's a good way to learn, but also got the answer: Step 1: Don't watch youtubers blablabla Step 2: Learn java first Step 3: Learn from this website https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/TOC.html. Or something like that. But the problem is that I do not understand everything they say with all kinds of words and datatypes and everything. I am not from an english talking country so I was wondering if anyone could help me with learning, if not I guess i'll have to read that or just watch thenewboston or someone else. thenewboston is good but I THINK it would be better with someone else that helps me. It would be so great and awesome and NICE of you if you could help me. Thanks

2. In that case you should buy a java book written in your native language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ok, but where can I find that? @hamzaxx

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. amazon, a library or even you local booktader

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. The oracle docs is really bland to me like all these people in spigot always recommend the Oracle Docs and I know some of you like it but everyone learns a different way. I read the Oracle Docs only if I'm not on my computer but other than that when I'm on the computer I watch videos.

Some people say that thenewboston is bad and blah blah blah but personally, I watched thenewboston first and I think it is great on guiding you through the beginning part of the language. You should maybe check out Cave of Programming, I moved to those tutorial series after thenewboston didn't suit me anymore.

How I learn is after I finish watching a tutorial, like for instance a lesson on the toString method, I research and do things with that method and practice with it. REMEMBER, practice is key to learning Java, without it you won't understand anyone of it. For instance I watched 40 episodes of thenewboston series and I really only practiced the 1st 10 lessons. After that... I felt like hm.... I should just finish all these tutorials so then I will be awesome at java! Well, that's the wrong way to learn. Practice after every lesson and understand on how to use the code.

Also, some people dive straight into plugins which I don't judge them for that but I would really learn the java language first. It really helps to know what the "this" keyword means when you are making listeners :p. By the way, don't rush it, Iv'e been learning for 4 months now and I am learning about pointing interface types to objects :p.

6. My recommendation would be to come up with a project and make it. Steal source, read tutorials, etc. Eventually, you'll know enough that Oracles tutorial will make sense.
    Thats how I learned Java. Note that depending on your leaning style, this may not work for you.

7. That's a horrible way to learn, because you will not understand what that code does in its entirety and it leaves gaping holes in your knowledge.

8. Ahh, but for some people who need hands on leaning, it works. Now, you can't just rely on reading other peoples work, as you absolutely MUST read through ALL of oracles tutorials to really understand Java, but its great to have something that can contribute to basic learning. Idk, it worked for me.

9. In that case what is the encapsulation principle?

10. I realize this question would be best answered immidately, but I wasn't looking at the forums. Encapsulation is the "hiding" of methods/fields/etc so that it cannot be screwed up by other code (accidentally or intentionally (if you were intending to mess with private code, you would probably just use reflection.)).
    I understand the point you are trying to get across, and I appreciate your attempt. Problem is The way I learned COULD work for some people, even if it wouldn't work for you.