"Coding" vs "Progamming", Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by dwilson5817, May 29, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

So, I have seen the term "Coding" used much more recently, much a my despise.

To me so called coding, is a general term used to describe the process of writing any code at all.

Subsequently, programming is the process of making a program using a programming language.

What does "Coding" and "Programming" mean to you?

I have found alot of conflicting arguments online and would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks.

2. JamesJ

Supporter

I would say that coding is the act of creating the code, however programming is the act of taking that code and making it into something useful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. "Coding" is the process of worshipping satan and killing your family.

"Programming" is writing software through programming languages or similar.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. PhanaticD

Patron

I code a visual basic gui to track your IP

I program a new feature for your minecraft server

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. "I'm a codererer" - kid
    "I'm a programmer" - Someone that has at least some sense of what they're actually doing..

They're pretty much the same just programmer is seen as a more formal. I like develop and developer IMO.. I see programmers as people who work with binary or something weird like brainfuck. But really, they're all the similar with subtle differences that aren't documented somewhere.

Thought this was rather funny.. xD
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ACode...ndAComputerScientistWalkIntoAVennDiagram.aspx

#5 _Cory_, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Well, looks actually like people have a similar hatred to the word "Coding" as I do :p

lol, now we have Coders vs Hackers vs Programmer vs Developer vs Computer Scientists, thanks Cory!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I guess it all really depends. "Programming/Programmer" is the term that feels more right, but if someone asks you what you like to do, both words give slightly different results. Such as

"I program websites." - Could be misleading, as the term "program" may also be used as in the act of configuring settings on a pre-existing device.
    "I write code for websites." - Which is a lot more descriptive.

Though it seems not many people like to use the term "coder". It kind of reminds me of the term codec. "I encode videos.". lol

So the proper term would be programmer in this case, I suppose. I am a programmer of websites!

9. Nogtail

Artist

'Coding' generally implies the writer is 12 years old.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Or a misinformed ICT teacher.

11. They are practically synonyms

12. One starts with a "p" and is 11 characters long, and the other starts with a "c" and is 6 characters long.

13. hmmm, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Programming is coding by coding is not necessarily always programming.

Coding as in typing code, programming as in the discipline of writing programs.

15. 0_O

16. Since no one bothered to lookup answers in a dictionary, which should be the accepted definition of such terms:

Coding: the process of assigning a code to something for the purposes of classification or identification
    Programming: the action or process of writing computer programs
    Developing: the application of techniques or technology to the production of new goods or services

As you can see, coding technically has nothing to do with the development/programming of software/services.

• You don't code code.

17. A single word can have multiple definitions. Also, the definition being less accepted in dictionaries doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

18. cod·ing
    ˈkōdiNG/
    noun
    noun: coding
    1. the process of assigning a code to something for the purposes of classification or identification.
      • a code assigned for the purpose of classification or identification.
        plural noun: codings
        "text type codings"
      • BIOCHEMISTRY
        the process of coding genetically for an amino acid, protein, or characteristic.

code
    kōd/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: coding
    1. 1.
      convert (the words of a message) into a particular code in order to convey a secret meaning.
      "only Mitch knew how to read the message—even the name was coded"
      • express the meaning of (a statement or communication) in an indirect or euphemistic way.
        "a national campaign against “playing by ear,” a coded phrase that meant jazz"
      • assign a code to (something) for purposes of classification, analysis, or identification.
        "she coded the samples and sent them down for dissection"
    2. 2.
      write code for (a computer program).
      "most developers code C + + like C"
    3. 3.
      BIOCHEMISTRY
      specify the genetic sequence for (an amino acid or protein).
      "genes that code for human growth hormone"
      • be the genetic determiner of (a characteristic).
        "one pair of homologous chromosomes that codes for eye color"
    Origin
    upload_2015-5-31_5-29-33.png
    Middle English: via Old French from Latin codex, codic- (see codex). The term originally denoted a systematic collection of statutes made by one of the later Roman emperors, particularly that of Justinian; compare with sense 3 of the noun (mid 18th century), the earliest modern sense.

Well you weren't wrong, you also didn't lookup the definition of coding... You can find the alternate version of "code" (which usually refers to computer code) does link to computer programs, but coding does not.

19. I'm not sure what source you're looking at; but dictionary.com agrees with me: