1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Bug Communication Error on first ping.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by bloxParadise_, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Hello. I have been having an annoying error recently that might be affecting my player base. When you first ping the server on the server list, it says "Communication Error", when you refresh the server list it displays the motd, and it works as it is expected to. This is a very annoying problem, and it might be affecting my player base.

2. this is due to the connection throttle setting in bukkit.yml. Lower the value to 500 and you should not have any problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. joehot200

Supporter

Interesting. Could you explain why that is?

4. Well its usually not the FIRST connection that has issues, so maybe its not the OP's issue exactly, but when I used 2000 setting I constantly had issues connecting because the hit from the server list would flag and trying to connect quickly always denied me...

but, it is possible that the client is sending multiple pings, and the 2nd one is getting blocked due to throttle.

5. Was already fixed by OP going to spigot.yml and changing netty threads from 3 to 9.

6. Doesn't make much sense why that would relate to this issue.

If the server didn't have enough threads, then people would have tons of problems joining too.

7. Don't ask me. It worked for OP. I told him to update this thread with the results, and he did give me an PM that it seemed to be ok now. Maybe he will update the thread and let us know how it is going.

8. Hey guys, I forgot to mention that players had connecting issues to. Just do what hackerfaker said and it should work :)

9. Haha well that was fast. I do have a question for Aikar because I know he has got way more technical prowess than I do. I looked at the bukkit.yml but didn't the wiki say to use the spigot.yml? Does the bukkit.yml still do stuff?

10. any feature thats in bukkit still uses bukkit.yml, spigot.yml is for stuff spigot added.

• Informative Informative x 1

11. Sweet thanks! Would you happen to know why increasing the netty threads worked? Because I did the same thing and it worked for me.

12. md_5

Administrator Developer

I cannot reproduce this. Do you perhaps have your server twice in your server list?

13. Nope. Just once. I mean, this netty thread thing has fixed it for both blox and myself. I can't speak for blox but I have been using this setting for a little while and it works well for the communication error thing. So the main problem the topic is about is solved. The problem is, I have no idea why this worked in the first place. I found this solution out by complete accident while messing with some settings.

14. I am having this problem as well. Players can connect but 4 out of 5 times the server comes back with "Communication Error" This happens when going threw my domain and direct IP. I can run craftbukkit on the same server and the problem goes away.

15. I noticed this as well. Could it be a netty bug?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. joehot200

Supporter

"This is due to the connection throttle setting in bukkit.yml. Lower the value to 500 and you should not have any problems." <- Says Aikar.

Do people not read? o_O

17. I did in fact read that however I was hoping there was a better solution to this than weakening a security feature that seems to work fine with CB. I also posted this here is because md_5 mentioned he could not recreate the problem and since i am seem to have the issue maybe that could help him narrow down what the problem may be.

I appreciate the response but next time could you please be a bit more polite. All im trying to do is get help and at the same time help others who may have the same issue yet dont like the idea of lowering the thorttle.

Thanks.

18. joehot200

Supporter

Actually i have always had the same problem with CB. Seems strange you only have it on Spigot. Putting it to 500 instead of 2000 is better anyways :p

19. Now that was much more useful. Ive only had the problem since switching to Spigot less than a week ago. Perhaps this is something that could be added to the wiki?