Config Troubles

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Cosmicluck, May 23, 2016.

1. I have had a lot of trouble with configs in the past, and apparently today is no exception. All i'm trying to do is get the "Events" from the config example below. Basically I want to send the player a message containing the names of all the Events from this config. So in this case, the player should have a message containing "Test, Test2". However no matter what I try, it refuses to work.

I have tried using these methods:

Code (Java):
    List<String> events = ec.getConfig().getStringList("Events");
    Code (Java):
    for (String key : ec.getConfig().getConfigurationSection("Events").getKeys(false)) {
         p.sendMessage("" + key);
    }
    Code (Text):
    Events:
      Test:
        - Head1
        - Head2
      Test2:
        - Head1
        - Head2
    They either return nothing in the player's message, or in the case of the second method, gives me a nullpointerexception.

I have never been good with configs, even after reading the configuration API multiple times. If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated!

Note: ec.getConfig() is my custom config file specifically for the "Events".

2. What I would probably do is something kinda like how you're doing it, but I would get the keys then get the values. Ex:
    Code (Text):

for(String key : ec.getConfig().getConfigurationSection("Events").getKeys(true)){
      if(!key.contains("."){
        List<String> list = ec.getConfig().getStringList("Events."+key);
        //Do thing with list
      }
    }

3. Consider the difference between list and config section.
    Code (Java):
    List<String>

List :
    - string1
    - string2
    Code (Java):
    Set<String> sets = //getConfigSection

List:
       String1:
             value: true

String2:
             value: false