could this stop DDOSing

Discussion in 'BungeeCord Discussion' started by SamHardy, May 21, 2016.

1. so i run a server a i think everyone who has run one from there house has being DDOSed
    My server runs using bungeecord on a home pc and it has a lobby server that players will always get send to evey time someone joins i was thinking if i get my lobby server hosted and run my plotworld and skyblock server at my house would it stop the DDOSing or would anything bad happand

- thanks GT

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. *hoping this is a troll*

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You would need your BungeeCord server to be with a DDoS protected host, not your lobby server.

#3 UElitez, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. joehot200

Supporter

It would stop your house being DDOS'd, but the VPS would be receiving the attack, meaning that if it is not protected, it would go down.

Also keep in mind that a VPS will add extra lag for your players if you only use it for BungeeCord. Get a VPS as close to your house as possible to minimize this problem.

5. so i need to get my bungeecord proxy hosted (on a no DDOS hoster)

6. That is correct. There is no way to stop a DDoS attack, other than using aptly named DDoS protection.

7. You need protection ;)

8. 4chan

Supporter

DDoS Condom

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. The DDoS Condom
    Now on sale for only 5$

10. So a firewall?

Or is that more of a spermicide?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. ssamjh

I recommend OVH for DDOS protected VPS's. Very cheap.
    I love how people say threads like this are a troll, but in fact it's someone learning how to run a server better.

When I first started, I ran BungeeCord on a free German vps, and then my servers at my friends house in UK. The ping between was only about 50MS to not too bad (considering the only people playing were in Australia and New Zealand so out pings are over 100MS no matter what).

Now I have a dedicated server, with a fully working network.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 4chan

Supporter

place a condom over router
    ez

• Winner Winner x 3
  13. Buy OVH DDOS Prot.

14. DDoS mitigation from *company name* for roughly *ON SALE* $235/day

15. Vagdedes

Supporter

This is not a DDoS buddy. Everytime someone joins your server minecraft creates a new connection for the player. The more connections you have, the more lag the network will get. DDoS is when a network gets a lot of packets in a short amount of time. That crashes the network and temporarily stops any connections due to lag. Thats why we have minecraft hosts, we pay them and they provide us a minecraft server with a fast and protected network. Hosting your server in your home network is just gonna make your internet horribly slow. For 8 or less players it will be ok. Other than that I do recommend you to try a server provider.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 4chan

Supporter

Doesn't crash the network (unless it's layer 7 that somehow causes a bug, lol)... just fills it up.

17. Vagdedes

Supporter

Yeah I know. I just tried to explain him the easiest way possible.

18. 4chan

Supporter

At least explain it correctly then.

19. Vagdedes

Supporter

He clearly doesnt know whats a connection. By explaing the whole situation its just not going to help him.

20. 4chan

Supporter

If you're going to explain DDoS, do it right at least. Bugs me when kids in games and even some YouTubers don't fully know what a DDoS is. They end up shouting "DDoS" for any single bit of downtime and then try to go around (incorrectly) explaining DDoS to others, making it end up like the game "Chinese Whispers". It all gets fucky if explained wrong.