Cpu Overheating... Limit?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by marek327, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hi, i have problem (first time) with overheating (100+% CPU).
    I have player servers, using screen java proceses.
    But some servers has over 60% CPU, can someone help me , if exist some "limit" or skript what will "kill" the proceses taking over 60% CPU? Thanks!

2. Processors have a limit built in before the server will shutdown to save itself. My i5 has a limit of 104'C

If you run a script to stop a process thats using 60% you will have a bad time. When starting up minecraft servers try an use as much cpu as possible and would get killed before properly started.

Instead of looking at scripts why dont you actually fix the problem. Get better cooling for your server so that it doesnt build up 100'C or more. Just a simple clean will help initially. If for some reason you cannot/wont do this then underclock the cpu.

3. You really need to fix the cooling situation. Even stock coolers are designed to keep it cooler than that. There are applications that can kill processes like that, but even if that's the case you can do damage to your CPU over time if you don't do the cheap fix right now.

4. OP is posting like he means cpu utilization of 100.

If the problem is actually utilization, debug your plugins and remove those who uses excessive cpu power.

If the problem in fact is the heat, make sure that all 4 bolts/pins on the CPU cooler is fastened correctly, try to replace the thermal paste or replace cpu cooler if broken. If there's too much dust in the cooler, try to clean this out as well with a compressor. It can make a big difference.

5. Sorry my english is RIP...
    Not overheating, but too big CPU, over 150%
    Server:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

I need some limit cpu, i mean, servers cant go over 60% up...

6. Timings. Plugins. We can't read your mind, give us information!

7. It's not ideal to limit the performance for each server. I would rather suggest you put affinity to each process so they cannot interfere with each other.

8. i dont have any problems with other servers, i need some script, or some start script with parametre where will add CPU Limit to each started server with java proces.
    This is ideal, because when is 50 player servers online, so CPU can explode.. :D