CPU

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by TheKnight, Jul 8, 2015.

1. If Spigot uses only 1 core, then why people buy Intel i7, which has more than 1 core?

2. The reason people buy Intel Core i7s is because its single core performance is great compared to other processors single core performance.

3. So you can do more than just run the server at one time

4. Is Xeon E5-1650 v2 better than Intel i7 3770?

5. Basically, the best processors for running Minecraft servers are processors with great single core performance.

Check this to see which processors are best.

6. So if 2 processors have almost identical single core performance, it is not worth upgrading?

More cores =/= performance?

7. I'm not the CPU expert but I believe so. Someone who may know will be @RSNET-Radic

8. JamesJ

Supporter

Because i7's have good single core performance.

9. Why in htop all cores are working?

10. JamesJ

Supporter

Because the OS will use all cores.

11. If you have a (relatively) big server and use bungeecord, different servers can use different cores. Also note that plugins can run in other cores (although they won't use much CPU)

12. And you can run a MySQL server on the same CPU; MySQL will use the other cores.

13. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Thanks for the tag. Everything that has been said thus far is pretty accurate about the CPUs. I don't have anything else to add.

14. As people already said its for its single core performance i recently got the i7 4790k for gaming etc and it has the best single core performance you could argue with the i7 5960k but who has the money just to put on a cpu if you just using for a minecraft server or just playing mc.

15. The i7 4790k stock speed is 4.0 you cant get better than that and may i also add the hyper threading :D

16. JamesJ

Supporter

Clock speed isn't single core performance.

• Like Like x 1