DDoS protection for home host

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Kevin0565, Jul 10, 2019.

1. I know the general recommendation is to use a hosting service, but I’ve been considering hosting myself with the new AMD chips on my own computer (not for gaming, separate) and I want to eliminate the $50+/mo cost. How would I go about protecting the server against DDoS attacks?

2. Option A) Get very fast internet, very expensive but will eliminate small scale stuff.
    Option B) Have a BGP IP assigned to your home internet and let a company like ProxyPipe run their protection on it, but the price of that is way more than just using an OVH server & is impractical unless you live very close to a datacenter.

TL;DR: You'd spend more on DDoS protecting home hosting in 1 month than an OVH server costs over 4 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. don't forget to have a DDoS mitigation server...

4. Or just buy one of the cheapest plans of a game hosting with DDOS protection included which is near your home and setup a BungeeCord from the shared hosting to your home. In my case it worked perfectly fine and my network was DDOS protected for 15$, but for this solution you need to check the latency between your home and the shared hosting.

5. Strahan

Benefactor

There isn't a residential internet service you can get with speed enough to absorb anything but the most trivial DDoS "attacks". The only way for it to be actually effective is to rely on upstream protection, not a speed you likely cannot find. If you could manage to find some company offering fast enough service, it'd be far outside the budget.

6. Depending on your location, you can get upwards of 1Gbps of internet speeds, though the average cost of this is around £600 per month and a £2000 install fee and you'd be tied into a 12-36 month contract with the ISP.

As for DDoS protection, it varies on the level of protection your going for, give or take for about 10Gbps of mitigation you'd be paying about £2000 per month for that alone, add to the server costs, cooling and other fees, you'd be looking at about a £10,000-£20,000 upfront investment, then about £3500 per month for electric, etc.

This would work if you plan to run a home-datacentre and you had adequate income already and knowledge around setting all of this up (though I wouldn't recommend doing this regardless and instead rent racks out in a datacentre)

From what you are looking for, you'd be best getting a colocation if you wanted to own your own hardware, you can buy a server that's suited for Minecraft for about £800 give or take, then you can get it colocated for around £40-£100 per month along with electric costs of about £0.30 per kWh and setup fees, though these are best used with multiple servers to make it more value for your money, so you'd be spending about £5000 on 4 servers to colocate over to a datacentre, what has the experts and technicians to help keep your network online, along with failovers and a lot of others. It's a great value for your money when you look at it.

7. Strahan

Benefactor

Damn.. that's pricey. A gig runs ~£320 a month here, no fee for install. Well, I guess I can't really attest to that install bit as I already had service so the no fee thing may have been solely because of that.

8. Yeah, it is, I enquired to my ISP about installing gigabit internet around my area, since it isn't offered as a residential service. The reason why it's so high is that its a dedicated line (1:1 connection with their servers).

Since the area doesn't hold the infrastructure around here to support that speeds they'd need to install a fibre cable that goes straight to the ISP datacentre (I'd assume at least) hence the hefty installation fee. Give or take, if I got into a 36-month contract they'd install it for free (because the larger contract would offset that cost) and it would be £520 instead of £600 (since our government has a gigabit voucher scheme running to encourage businesses to install 1Gbps lines to their premises so they pay about £2500 worth of the contract for businesses)