Dedicated Machines

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by FrostedSnowman, May 9, 2017.

1. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

Hey! Currently wondering which would be a better buy. I am not too well known with computer specs and how they differntiate (which is better). so i need some opinions.

Option 1:
    Intel Xeon E5630 @ 2.53 Ghz CPU
    1 Gbps uplink speed.
    512 GB Sata 3 Samsung SSD
    480 Gbps Shared DDoS Protection
    48 GB DDR4 Crucial 2133 Mhz RAM.
    RAID 5

or
    Option2:

[​IMG]

option3:

[​IMG]

ill be hosting bungeecord network with about 3 gamemode servers + the proxy (4 servers in total). with about 40 plugins each(game servers) and about 60 players global

#1 FrostedSnowman, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Option1: CPU isn't ideal for Minecraft hosting at all.
    Option2: No, it's WSI/Nocix there is no DDoS protection, they will null-route your server for hours upon attack.
    Option3: Same as option2

Try to look for DDoS protected E3's/E5's or I7's unless you plan to run external DDoS protection.

3. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

any alternative hosts where i could get something like option2/option3 and have ddos protection? (around same price range)

4. Honestly, both of those options aren't ideal either. You want something with higher Ghz. What is your max budget?

5. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

my budget is about 48$/Mo, and eventually expand on that as i get more income for it.

6. Look into soyoustart, a little bit above your budget but is better for game servers (not talking about their game server page, game servers page or essential servers would do)

7. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

currently using soyoustart, but a lot is in canada (my current one is) and latency is a real problem for myself and the players. im looking for something in the US

8. An E5 is fine for hosting a server, if it is balanced properly. Wit that sort of ram, i assume the goal is a big network of small servers/worlds?
    There are definitely better options, though.

Most of the big server farms are going to be in canada, and there should not be over 100ms ping to most of the US.

9. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

so the first option would be ideal?

and yes, i look into using it in a bungee network, with what i mentioned in the OP

10. Nocix is fine. As long as you are going to use bungee in a ddos protected environment

11. How many servers and how many players?

12. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

"ill be hosting bungeecord network with about 3 gamemode servers + the proxy (4 servers in total). with about 40 plugins each(game servers) and about 60 players global"

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 99% sure that wasn't on the main post when I replied, but if it was, sorry, I didn't see it.

I wouldn't go for a xeon, I'd try get an i7 because of your low amount of servers. Meaning, none of your options.

14. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

any suggestions for a host ?

15. Ovh, soyoustart, kimsufi or reliablesite

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I ran minecraft servers with 50 players on 2.2 ghz cores. Just a remark,not good for survival. I use 2.6 now and works fine with up to 100 players per subserver (per core)
    But I really worked on optimising it

17. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

thanks!

i've decided to go with rackspace and use:

[​IMG]