Did you know: Google Authenticator & Premium Resources

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

I agree that it's great for developers to earn a little money for the effort they put into their plugins.
    I think it creates a few problems though:
    • If you choose to create a premium resource, you better be damn sure that your plugin works without flaws.
    • What about support for the plugins? I mean, you can't try before you buy, so what if the plugin doesn't live up to your expectations? I don't expect any spigot staff to handle chargebacks, and scamming will increase a lot, and this will significantly increase spigot's staff's workload to download and test if the plugins are actually working as the author describes.
    • And what do you really pay for? Technically you pay for a plugin which may or may not work on the current MC version, and what if the dev gets tired of the plugin and abandon it? Then your money can be lost when Mojang breaks stuff as usual.
    • Since I don't expect there will be any DRM, it doesn't take more than a few clicks to share the jar after purchase.
    Bottom line: I'll rather prefer a little popup where you can choose 1$, 2$ or 5$ (etc) when downloading, to donate to the author. The current way Mojang updates and plugins are updated are generally too messy, so think this feature will create a lot of disappointments on the long term.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Oh man, I better start working on that "10 steps to make big balla money in Minecraft" power point presentation :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Just look out for plugins that add effects (e.g. particles and enchantments). If they're the stuff you usually can do, e.g. creating a Chest or an inventory, or Survival Games/Hunger Games, it won't require updating much. Also, if the plugin doesn't work, there's a comment/discussion section which server owners SHOULD look at, it's their fault if they don't. I disagree with this "donation" thing. Developers can work really hard on plugins, and yet receive little to no donations, people aren't generous in this world any more. It's all about money.

4. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

I'm mainly talking about errors and a few features that breaks, not the whole plugin. When that happens what does the customer get? He may not even get an answer, because the developer got tired of Minecraft.
    I completely agree that developers don't get enough for their work, but the current state of support for plugins are generally horrible, it can sometimes take days or even weeks to get a simple reply, (I'm not blaming them though, they are providing a completely free of charge service with little to no gain in their spare time, just pointing out that from a professional view it's simply not good) and I honestly don't think it will change much just because developers can charge for their plugins.
    Also, to take an example for another modding community, like Skyrim, some people have put over a year of work into completely free mods.

#64 TheOnlyRealTGS, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I agree with all your points, but for your last point, it's because they either wanted to do it for themselves then posted it online after getting good feedback from their friends or even themselves, or they just wanted to post it for fun. Developers of Bukkit plugins either do it for fun (as a hobby to put public) or they want money.

6. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

Primary a hobby yes, and exactly that is the problem if you begin to charge for hobby work, which you might abandoned later. And keep in mind that developers of bukkit can't charge for their plugins, so if they want money it's from donations. With that said, I think we should do more for pushing people into donating for plugins (not forcing) like i said above, maybe implement a little popup where you can choose 1$, 2$ or 5$ or ofc. cancel, when downloading a plugin, or maybe when you have downloaded a plugin for a lot of versions, another popup saying "You seem to use this plugin a lot ..." or something. Sorry for repeating myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm more inclined to donate to a dev who does work for fun and out of the goodness of their heart then to buy a plugin someone made specifically to profit on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. I've considered selling a premium branch of Heroes with more skills/etc - but this has always been a battle to upkeep and support. I'll consider it but who knows :p

It's good to have the option there and refined rather than have shady operations going on behind scenes (that currently happen)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I love the premium feature!

Thanks! :)

10. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

I actually that may be the best way of using the Premium Resources. Perhaps having a standard "free" version, and then having an expanded "paid" version with more features. That way, people can still "try before you buy", so to speak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I am currently thinking about something similar:
    Depending on the tpye of the plugin, you could offer your plugin for free, but restrict for example 'commercial usage' via it's license (assuming that most people respect licenses..), and then offer this special permission as part of a 'premium license' via the premium section (maybe together with a version of that plugin which includes special features which only make sense for people who, for example, sell 'kits' or similar to their players).
    This sounds pretty fair to me: everyone gets the plugin for free, with full basic features, can test it out or simple run it for the fun of it, and only those who actually plan to use it to for example sell things related to it in their server shops/earn money with it in some kind would have to invest in that premium license and letting the original developer profit by that on it as well.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. You've met some of the owners on this forum right? lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Really awesome news!

14. Are you really beastnode.com?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Yes, the account registered with a BeastNode.com email address.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. I honesty really like the idea of paid plugins. It gives the developers a reason to release the plugin in the first place. I think the implementation of it won't be good. Like stated before, I could literally create a piece of crap plugin and release it with a lot of publicity and make a few bucks before people realize it is useless. Also, I would want to obfuscate my plugin to prevent decompliling and redistributing. This would lead to a problem, because Spigot staff would have a tough time moderating this. Would buyers have to pay for each update or once for the plugin? How can we prevent redistributing the jar?

A few solutions:
    • Developers require a minimum amount of plugins posted to release premium ones
    • Spigot obfuscates the code after reviewing it
    • Spigot makes sure code is up to the plugins description
    • Spigot associates bought plugins with account to allow downloads
    • Spigot creates some sort of validation API that can be used by paid plugins
    • This API would get players Spigot account username and password in spigot.yml and check if the user has bought the plugin on startup/ reloads
    • More coming....

This still leaves a few problems, but it will resolve a few. This is a great idea @md_5, but it still needs some work before I think its ready. Good luck Spigot :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. md_5

Administrator Developer

• Spigot associates bought plugins with account to allow downloads
    That's literally the whole point of this system. As for obfuscation etc, it's Java, I can break any measures you put in place in a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

Nobody wants DRM on plugins to a DRM free game. Also, this would be a weak protection considering the amount of work for spigots staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ok I see where your coming from, however it does provide an extra layer of protection at least :)

Technically, Minecraft is a DRM game itself... If I stole your premium plugin and redistributed it how would you feel? There is hard work that is put into plugins, and stealing it (when its paid) would be the same as any other piracy. Sure, you can bring the law into action against the one who redistributes it, but by that time you have already lost money that you would be making (not to mention the cost of lawyers, stress, the gamble of suing, other stuff that comes in a court of law). Now about the protection... I would be happy to obfuscate the code myself, but Spigot obviously wants to review it before I put it out for money. If there was a safer way to hide Java, I would use it, however there's not. I am not going to release a premium plugin if its going to easily be decompiled and redistributed.

20. TheOnlyRealTGS

Supporter

I agree, but I still don't support drm even though somebody got the idea of creating paid Plugins. Also even though you hire a dev to create a plugin, you can easily redistribute it, buy selling it. This haven't been a huge problem that people have been reselling those, (ofc. because you know them, but still) so I don't think we need to solve a problem that nearly don't exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.