Dilemma and social comment

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by MarkV, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I run a very small, private server for my daughter and her friends. A friend of a friend wanted to join so he was opped. We are very informal, and we just want to facilitate access to everything. When finished, he was de-opped since we don’t really know him yet. The regulars retain their opped status.

He came on later and saw he wasn’t op anymore and started asking about it. He was told to ‘hang on’ while we re-op him. Then the server was flooded with spoofed ip’s, ports and player names – an attack designed to affect the server, I guess. It didn’t. The 4 second connection throttle was doing it’s job.

I took a minute to study the log to prove to myself what I already knew. Yep, it was that new player. This isn’t hard to do with the very low connection rate on a small server. We had a Skype connection to him by then, and I asked him why he was doing this(?) ‘ We were in the process of opping you’. He just denied it and said he didn’t know what I was talking about. It seemed important to me to attach a human voice to the object of his attack JThe attack stopped right about then.

I found this experience a little troubling, far more troubling than tit-for-tat griefing I’ve had to deal with in the past. These are kids, after all. I am old school. The act of maliciously attacking a server is serious to me. Sure, he is blocked from my server now, but the speed in which he engaged in the attack appeared experienced. I doubt my server is the only one he has attacked. Further, identifying the perpetrator of such an attack on a big server is probably too difficult to bother with.

So, my social comment; Are 21’st century Minecraft players treating Minecraft servers the same way they treat opponents on the server? Is attacking a Minecraft server different from attacking any other type of server – it is a game after all?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. If you know who it is, you can try to report it to his isp. Better yet, contact your isp. They will let you know what you can do about this. At this point the attack is over, but the person needs to be help accountable. You are right. People treat the server as another opponent to attack and it's absurd. There is no difference between launching an attack on a website versus a small game server. The action is illegal and the perpetrator should be held accountable. </rant>

3. That was my dilemma. I didn’t want to make a federal case out of it, but somehow appropriate boundaries have to be made clear. Today it is a Minecraft server. What is it going to-morrow(?) I just sent log excerpts to his isp – he had a static ip, btw. I asked them to be gentle.

This was an eye opener for me. Just Google ‘minecraft paradigm’ and watch all the geniuses YouTubing themselves attacking MineCraft servers. Watching these things, I keep wondering when the FBI is going to roll in and confiscate all the computer equipment and family assets….

4. It would be very helpful indeed if Mojang had some way to manage "hacked" accounts. Maybe require that the account owner change their password once a month. idk. Point being that half the battle is that there are countless accounts on mailing lists that folks use for these attacks. It's kinda hard to ban them all.

5. SuperSpyTX

Supporter

It's too bad these bots are still around today.

But that's why I still have my plugin flying around.

6. AntiBot looks like it targets these ddos attacks pretty well. NanoGuard is interesting, but, since it binds to the Minecraft port and the server is on localhost, all the ips come up as 127.0.0.1 as tracked by the server. I think it is going to need its own api.