Disabling Entity Activation Range

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Cryptite, May 14, 2015.

1. Let's pretend I'm writing a MOBA with minion waves, you know the deal. Given the size of the map I'm dealing with, I have mobs pathing down lanes and attacking each other. However, due to entity activation range, mobs outside of said range will stop pathing, stop moving, and altogether, at times, disappear.

My question: is it possible to disable entity activation range completely for a world, or is it possible to define on an entity of some sort that it should always be ticked. Note that I have complete control over all the mobs in the map, so there won't be a case of runaway numbers of mobs.

I've tried setting very high values for entity activation and tracking (200, 300 blocks), but this seems to do bad things including mobs becoming invisible, but still attacking me (how unpleasant).

So, is this possible at all? Given how minions and MOBAs work, minion waves must be able to path fully, attack, and die without requiring players nearby to keep them ticking.

2. You will have to create your own Custom Entities and define their pathFinder properties. That is the only method I'm aware of at the moment. There might be other ideas out there. If you are only working with a small list of entities the method I stated should suffice.

3. I've already created the custom entities with pathfinder goals, I'm just not sure what handles their distance-based tracking.

Basically I've already got the entire system working, it's just the entity deactivation that makes it unstable.