Disabling McStats / Metrics

Discussion in 'BungeeCord Discussion' started by Terragen, Jun 21, 2013.

1. I've tried disabling this but it doesn't seem to work (so perhaps I'm not doing it properly). Don't see any info about it in the config.yml nor have I found a setting to insert there by looking around. I tried a plugins/PluginMetrics/config.yml file like so:

but that didn't work either.

Was using Build #517 but I've switched to #540 now (hopefully this will fix the problem but since I probably didn't opt-out properly I don't expect it to suddenly stop). Kept getting errors like :

I just want my BungeeCord server to stop making unauthorized outgoing connections (and to stop these errors cropping up). (Shouldn't that be an opt-IN plugin anyways?)
    Any help is appreciated!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. I can confirm that this "bug" (if I did configure it correctly and it's just being ignored) still occurs in #540.

Has nobody else successfully disabled this "feature"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The config.yml file within your /plugins/PluginMetrics/ directory will only disable metrics on that server when opt-out is set to true, not BungeeCord. The "errors" you are experiencing can be safely ignored, as they are not causing any harm.

4. As you can see from my original post, opt-out is set to true. Yet the errors persist. You are wrong to say no harm is being caused - my server is repeatedly attempting to dial out to this website not only without my permission but explicitly against it. This is most definitely a problem.

I can confirm that this error still has not been fixed in version "git-BungeeCord-Proxy-1.6.2-SNAPSHOT-"738ed99"-635"

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. joehot200

Supporter

You use spigot's software, run the server, and so basically give it permission, then say it isnt with your permission?
    Whats the harm its doing? Using up 0.0002% more bandwith?
    Some people are random........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Yeah, I'm with joehot200 here.

Metrics sends out anonymous data. If you're more worried about that than the fact that your server will be open to hundreds, maybe even thousands of connections a day, there's something wrong with you.

Simply by making your IP public, you're exposing more information about your server than Metrics ever will, and giving out your IP will bring far more trouble than Metrics. DDoS, SSH bruteforcing, spambots, MySQL injection (if you have a website)

Get your priorities right please.

#7 TheReverend403, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Well, if he wants to disable it... It is his right to do so. I disabled it on all my servers as well, because the destination server is / was offline way too often and those connection errors filled my log files.

#8 Netto Hikari, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 8
  8. so many smug jackasses on this forum want to shame people for wanting more control over their own machines and what they are running...

im so sick of the moralizing

the guy doesn't want his logs spammed with tons of connection errors, GET OVER IT. stop being judgmental hypocrites and either help him or shut up

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. joehot200

Supporter

If you read this:
    Then it looks like another noob rageing about some random connection. If he does not want metrics, he can just not use spigot. I understand disabling it for reasons like log spamming, but this just seems like an idiot for wanting to block a good thing and then illogically saying it is against his permission. If he wants for it to be taken out, why dont he go and modify the spigot code?

If he has a legitimate reason for disabling metrics, fine with me, but i dont think he has.

Also, this thread was/is already necro.

#10 joehot200, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Since joehot200 clearly doesn't "get it" I will repeat the point for the other slow people in the crowd (although anyone with that level of ignorance almost certainly won't be the person providing the "fix" for this problem):

The metrics "plugin" is automatically included and (as far as I can tell) can't easily be removed. Although it should be an OPT-IN plugin since it is dialing out from your computer (this is not only common sense but common practice/courtesy) it DOES include an OPT-OUT which I have chosen to use.

As per all instructions I have enabled the OPT-OUT. Again, for joehot and company this means I have told the plugin NOT TO DIAL OUT. I didn't make this up, the "opt out" is supposedly built in to the plugin (this means that the programmer wants this plugin to have this functionality - this isn't something I have shown up and demanded). Setting this to TRUE should tell the plugin NOT to make outgoing connections. Yet it continues to do so - hence the obvious conclusion that it is broken/glitched/buggy.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. joehot200

Supporter

@Terragen, i understand your right to disable metrics. All i am saying is that you sounded like some little kid whining "omg the server is making a connection AND ITS AGAINST MY PERMISSION HELP ME THIS IS BADD".

The least you can do to help spigot/md_5 is to enable metrics! While md_5 does not accept donations, md_5 should have all of our help and support in making and maintaining spigot.
    If we could donate, most of us would, so why not just help md_5 in the ways that we can?

Edit: Sorry, this turned into an argument, could someone please lock this?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. joehot200 Locking threads should be used as last resort. It is a discussion forum, after all. Terragen just block that sucker's outgoing connections and you should be fine (aside from the console spam).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. I would like the OPT-OUT fixed so that I can opt out my server.

I want it for all of these reasons....

1. Because the feature is supposed to be available but is not working.
    2. Because it is filling my logs with spam.
    3. Because every 0.0002% counts. If it didn't we'd still be using 386's with 2M of RAM.
    4. Because any time your computer is doing something that you do not want it to do that is BAD.
    5. Because though the metrics are supposed to be anonymous the contents of the data have not been confirmed.
    6. And mostly just to piss off joehot200.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. So you are going to spend a ton of effort getting back a tiny bit of performance that barely matters?
    Also, metrics wasn't added for no reason. It is super useful as a developer to have stats like that, and they do not hinder the software at all.
    You'd be surprised how much proprietary consumer software does as much and more stats collecting than MCStats.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but honestly, how bad is it to ping an outside host with a tiny bit of information, especially when your tiny sacrifice it is benefiting a project that your server depends on?

#15 daboross, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. Another person that can't read. Why does this thread bring in so many of those.
    I said that I'm doing it because...
    1. Because the feature is supposed to be available but is not working.
    2. Because it is filling my logs with spam.
    4. Because any time your computer is doing something that you do not want it to do that is BAD.
    5. Because though the metrics are supposed to be anonymous and they are not (anonymous doesn't need a GUID).
    6. And mostly just to piss off joehot200.

Don't know why I'm bothering to re-state it though, doubt you'll be able to read it this time either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. 1, 2. Sorry for not realizing the extent of the errors - usually the servers are down for 1-2 hours then come back online. Unless your host is blocking outgoing connections, the error messages should fix themselves when the mcstats servers get back online.

Edit: md_5 has added a 'fix' for error log spamming in build 704 I believe.

4. It is nothing compared to some proprietary software that most people use.

5. GUID is in no way associated with a server IP or any personally/server identifiable information. It is used purely for detecting when a plugin's version changes to detect 'version trends'. I'd consider it anonymous because it has no information such as IP, server name, players names, etc.

6. I don't understand your reasoning here. I understand that he can be a bit blunt, but I wouldn't hold it against him.

#17 daboross, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. md_5

Administrator Developer

5. Because though the metrics are supposed to be anonymous and they are not (anonymous doesn't need a GUID).

Being able to identify subsequent requests does not make it non anonymous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I'm with Max_Coffeebreath here. I always hated metrics, because the servers are down too often. It doesn't even make sense to use metrics, because of that. The stats aren't correct because of the downtimes anyway.

19. joehot200

Supporter

Which is why md_5 is working on a new metrics site :D.