DMCA'd

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's why I sold my server. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. md_5

Administrator Developer

Read the DMCA, although not instituted by Mojang, Mojang has supported Bukkit's Dmcaing.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seems that Wolvereness is pissed that mojang owns bukkit and is leaving the minecraft community with a huge fuck everyone bang.

#43 rippin, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Damn.. Best of luck with it.

I understood Minecraft would go downhill with the EULA, however I did not expect it to go this far. This is gone passed the line of humanity.. :(

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Oh.. Wow... Mojang now just want us to use there bullsh1t realms.
    They run on AMD 2650..... Oh and 1mb of ram.

#46 Sulent, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. MikeA

Retired Supporter

Well, this whole situation is pretty pathetic. But I know we've all seen our fair share of "pathetic" people around in the past few months.... I don't think anything bad will happen, if so there's always a backup plan. :rolleyes:

@md_5 - Was this written up by an individual or was it sent to you from an actual lawyer/legal representative? I don't see this being a big deal unless your host comes into play.

7. Wolvereness essentially tried to play pin-the-blame to mojang. HOWEVER, if you read it closely, he is saying that "Bukkit is infringing on my copyright because mojang has not authorised anyone to use the minecraft server software, and bukkit does. So it infringes my copyright." BUT mojang owns bukkit so his claim is bogus. Mojang can use and distribute their own software. Spigot is on shakier ground. Good luck, but unless mojang agrees to let you keep running and doing what you do best, Spigot is breaking eula for this quote direct from mojang EULA:
    ONE MAJOR RULE
    The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we‘ve made. By “distribute anything we‘ve made” what we mean is “give copies of the game away, make commercial use of, try to make money from, or let other people get access to our game and its parts in a way that is unfair or unreasonable”. So the one major rule is that (unless we specifically agree it – such as in brand and asset usage guidelines) you must not:

• give copies of our Game to anyone else;
    • make commercial use of anything we‘ve made;
    • try to make money from anything we‘ve made; or
    • let other people get access to anything we‘ve made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable.
    …and so that we are crystal clear, what we have made includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes modified versions of a Game, part of it or anything else we‘ve made.

Otherwise we are quite relaxed about what you do - in fact we really encourage you to do cool stuff - but just don‘t do those things that we say you can‘t.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sadly Wolvereness knows what he's doing. Good look @md_5

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. maldahleh

Wiki Team

what? How is Realms related?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. So, could this provoke them to officially allow Bukkit:

11. Not quite how it works. Mojang owns Bukkit, not Bukkit's code.

12. Who is this guy anyway??

13. Rather obvious - if there are no alternatives to Realms, people have to use it, right?

14. Didn't md_5 just said read the DMCA, damn you just can't read..

15. Wrote a lot of the code in CraftBukkit & was a team member of Bukkit until Mojang took over. Third biggest CraftBukkit contributor by commits.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. md_5

Administrator Developer

Posted an edit

17. Yes but what he said goes with the Realms point.

18. Spigot may or may not also include some of his code. Therefore he's taken suite against
    Wolvereness contributed large portions of code to CraftBukkit. He is one of 6 lead developers. So in one way or another, he owns a piece of the project.

19. jeff142

Benefactor

Id 100% ignore it, he dosent have any ground on that dcma at all, his software IS geting done as GPL

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.