Does "nogui" Start-up parameter really *still* exist?..

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by TheMcGuider, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hello everyone!

Back in the better days, when Beta version of Minecraft was out, I started to use Craftbukkit and as far as I can recall the startup script I got was something similar to this this for Windows 7:
    @ECHO OFF
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms2014M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    ..From http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

I can guess that many will argue about this and therefore I am a bit skeptical, but does nogui after .jar really exist? Really, a lot of people *still use that but is it doing anything beneficial?
    I remember @vemacs saying that nogui is good to don't waste resources on a virtual gui.

2. Um, as far as I know yes it is - I know that Multicraft & other softwares like that use it.

3. It exists, but it doesn't do anything.

4. I'm very positive that Craftbukkit put it up for a reason, but it just seems like it does nothing really as the resource usage is still the same.

Exactly what I am pointing at, I'm asking this because I'm doing some heavy modifications to the Start-up Parameters wiki page and would like to have some more info.

5. its been a while since anyone's made a reply to this but, the resources it saves is mostly GPU usage percentages, the odd 2-6% here and there with the nogui java arg. however this was made more apparent as Minecraft keeps getting updated as the gui starts to rely on the gpu for slight bits of computing as far as i know. mostly its just to hide the unsightliness of the server gui

6. idk but that's the startup i use

java -Xms000M -Xmx0000M -Dterminal.jline=false -Dterminal.ansi=true -jar server.jar