Easy Security Guide for Spigot and BungeeCord

Discussion in 'BungeeCord Discussion' started by LinsaFTW, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Welcome to this Fast and Easy "Secure your server" Guide for Spigot and BungeeCord!

COMPLETE ALL THIS STEPS TO ENSURE GOOD SECURITY ON YOUR SERVER OR NETWORK!

[BungeeCord] Never use IPWhitelist or OnlyProxyJoin, this plugins can be bypassed

Don't change your IPs to 127.0.0.1 if you're using RedisBungee! Only Follow the Firewall step for RedisBungee Protection!

Remove that plugins if you use them and change your Spigot Servers IP to "127.0.0.1", that ensures no one will be able to join remotely to "steal" your accounts without joining your BungeeCord Server.

Just change all your sub-servers located in BungeeCord's config.yml like this:

servers:
    <name-of-your-spigot-server>:
    address: 127.0.0.1:xxxxx # <- Change xxxxx with the ports of the Spigot Server
    restricted: false

And modify your Spigot Servers server.properties like this:

server-ip=127.0.0.1
    network-compression-threshold=-1

Cant change IP because of Multicraft? Use this!

If you're using Multicraft/Web Panel install this in your spigot servers, you can use it for more security in Linux too
    http://www.spigotmc.org/resources/onlyproxy.13613/

[IMPORTANT] Use a Firewall (Linux Only)

Without a Firewall you're just letting ANYONE to connect to your machine, this is really risky. And if you're using Redis this will protect your Spigot Servers from getting accesed remotely.

Command to install UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall)
    UFW is a addon for IPTables to make IPTables easier to setup
    sudo apt-get install ufw

Now i will teach you how i configure UFW myself, this is the best way for me

Go to /etc/ufw/ and open the file before.rules add the rules you want there

Firstable add this lines after *filter to use rate limiting

*filter
    :ufw-user-limit - [0:0]
    :ufw-user-limit-accept - [0:0]

To open ports you need to add this lines:

# This lines opens port 25565 but rate limited (6 connections per sec)
    -A ufw-before-input -p tcp --dport 25565 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m recent --set
    -A ufw-before-input -p tcp --dport 25565 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m recent --update --seconds 1 --hitcount 10 -j ufw-user-limit
    -A ufw-before-input -p tcp --dport 25565 -j ufw-user-limit-accept

# Copy and paste the 25565 lines and replace them with any port to open any other ports you need
    # Increase the hitcount to 20 if you have problems with databases

# Run this line in the linux console to open ssh ports with rate limit (6 connections per 30 secs)
    sudo ufw limit ssh

If you're using RedisBungee run this in the machine that has your spigot servers
    This will allow only your Bungee machine to connect to your Spigot servers
    sudo ufw allow from <bungee-ip> to any port <port-of-your-spigot-server> proto tcp

After finishing setup this run the following commands
    sudo ufw enable
    sudo ufw reload

You can block ICMP Packets to prevent ICMP Packet flood/DDoS and pinging from windows cmd.

Add this to /etc/ufw/before.rules

# icmp flood
    -A ufw-before-input -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP
    -A ufw-before-input -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type address-mask-request -j DROP
    -A ufw-before-input -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type timestamp-request -j DROP
    -A ufw-before-input -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -m limit --limit 1/second -j ACCEPT

[BungeeCord/Spigot] Prevent common Exploits and Netty Attacks

There are ways to Crash your server, "ForceOP", etc...

Install this plugins in your Bungee and Spigot servers (If you dont use bungee install them in your Spigot server):

Prevent Hackers from stealing your account with the UUID Spoof Exploit and Crashing the server with CustomPayload (Jigsaw Crash).
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/2ls-exploitfixer-advanced-server-anticrash.62842/

And Install this only in all your Spigot Servers:

Use FAWE, it is a lot more performant than WorldEdit and will fix WorldEdit Crash exploit
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/fast-async-worldedit-voxelsniper.13932/

To fix BungeeCord invalid packets exceptions (OutOfBounds, DecoderException, HTTP packets, etc...) use the following BungeeCord fork.

I forked Travertine and removed unnecesary methods running when invalid packets are sent, use this jar as it was a normal BungeeCord jar.
    https://www.2l-studios.com/flamecord/

[Recommended] Stop Bot Attacks

Test Server IP: play.arkflame.com
    Support Discord:
    http://discord.gg/cjt9bPA

Thats all! Now your server is mostly protected!
    Please Rate if you liked this guide and comment what you think!

#1 LinsaFTW, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like x 13
    • Useful x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Very nice and usefull!

As addition i'd like to mention another usefull service if you are running a linux host, and that is Fail2Ban.
    Fail2Ban can help you prevent hack attempts (bot server, people with wrong intentions, etc..).
    It can keep track of failed login attempts on pre configured services like SSH to detect brute force attacks, and as countermeasure create an IP Tables packet drop rule for x amount of hours or permanent, so that for example if a server bot is bruteforcing your SSH port, and reaches the preconfigured threshold (let's say 5 failed attempts within 5 minutes?) it won't be able to reach your server at all for the upcomming 5 hours.

Another thing i'm missing is what to do when you have one proxy and are hosting your servers on multiple dedicted hosts.

My Advice would be using ufw to secure the connection to those server, like on your second host you will have to have the ports for those servers accecible by the proxy server. The best way to do this is to open the ports on the second server, only for data comming from your proxy server
    ufw allow from <IP ADDRESS> to any port <PORT NUMBER>
    This way only the proxy can send data to those server, so only people who are playing through your proxy can access the servers. This prevents hackers from setting up a proxy themself and adding your servers to their proxy list, and joining through their proxy, and thus be able to use offline mode to impersonate you or one of your staff members and gain access to critical plugins! (Also when you are hosting your servers on the same machine as your prexy, never open up their ports for public access through the firewall!)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Im going to test it and maybe i will add it :) Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. How is this even close to max security? Setting localhost in the server.properies file does not work on redisbungee servers & a simple ufw firewall with a 25565 limit is nothing. I don't think you understand how proxies work other than a proxy running on the same server. I would recommend looking into actual linux sec rather than posting a garbage infosec post where the bungee iptables firewall rules located in the docs are as basic as it gets, but provide more information than this.

I don't even want to know what your network backend looks like...

Basically worse than a digital ocean tutorial.

#4 Cisnet, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Looks good, doing most of it already. Have my server port set to allow instead of limit though so I'll most likely be changing that soon. :)

Another thing I like to do to protect against console access is install two-factor authentication:
    Code (Text):
    apt-get install libpam-google-authenticator
    Best walk through I've found for installing it is here. May or may not be worth the risk though, depending how prone you are to losing or breaking your phone. I'd recommend taking a screenshot of the QR code and keeping it on a USB drive just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. This guide is meant to be for Normal Bungee and Spigot servers, not for Redis Setups.

It is a "Super Easy" guide, i just wanted to share this for people that needs a good protection ASAP.

For redis you should only allow 25565 in the proxy and then allow the ip of your proxy server in your dedicated with the spigot servers.

Hmmm... Maybe im going to write how to setup firewall for redis...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. This is the most stupid and pointless security guide I've seen on this forums so far. Half is nonsense and the other half is forgotten.
    If this is how your own network is setup then I would highly suggest you to actually do your homework properly.

Also this user mentions it:
    But you rated him funny. Ignorance is a choice I guess.

Edit: Oh look, another funny. Immature kid.

#7 MrDienns, Mar 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. If you atleast knew a little about spigot community you should know that theres people that doesnt even know how to setup a firewall...

As i said before this is made for people that wants to prevent most important exploits/hacks ASAP and i will add more if people gives me feedback. It seems i just got haters :p

9. This is the most stupid and pointless response to a security guide I've seen on this forums so far. Half adds nothing of value and the other half is forgotten. Turnabout is fair play. ;)

If it's that bad then link to a better one, that way anyone stumbling across this thread is actually stumbling across two threads.

10. Limiting the amount of connections per IP is going to do absolutely zero. Read the wiki instead.

There's a wiki that perfectly explains it, which is listed in the bungeecord installation guide as far as I know.
    https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/firewall-guide/

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. There are people that doesnt understand that. Thats why i made a more specific guide. Really there is lot of people that still uses OnlyProxyJoin and IPWhitelist and get griefed because of that.

Im just trying to spread some common sense.

Btw, Limiting prevents packet spam from the same IPs and even brute force attempts.

12. Thanks. Looks like the official guide mostly focuses on iptables, but it still has some good information for people who prefer ufw as well.

13. Thing is that this tutorial doesn't even cover this. I mean I really don't care whether you use UFW or IPTables, that's not my point, people have preferences and should use whatever they like, my point is that this guide is totally incomplete and doesn't remote cover what the average user needs. The wiki I linked earlier explains you how to properly firewall a server to prevent people from directly connecting to your Spigot (without hosting on 127.0.0.1, since not everyone can do that). At least cover that part in your guide.

If @LinsaFTW wants to provide UFW commands as well, then I suggest him to update the wiki as well and mention UFW commands. People are more likely to look at the wiki rather than threads here on the forums, especially people not being part of the community that much.

14. Okay, ill cover that part. EDIT: Done!

#14 LinsaFTW, Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bien hecho, se lo pasaré a gente que tenga un servidor y así puedan seguir tus pasos, sigue haciendo esto, ayuda mucho.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Buena guía, mete el complemento que te pase para más seguridad, sigue asi! Es bueno compartir con los demás .:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Ya esta agregado en la seccion de exploits :)

18. The problem isn't that people don't understand the wiki, the problem is that the wiki is already a simplified version of what has to be taken seriously. The people who just 'want' and don't want to learn, they glance over something, look for what to copy/paste, complain when it's not working.

Thanks for writing something up, it's nice to discuss it and get more tips and tricks, and information. Hopefully it shows to somebody that they're perhaps not ready yet to run a public server and learn terminology and the os (and networking) a bit more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Then update the wiki with better alternatives, there is no reason why one couldn't/shouldn't exist (I was planning to create one, but kinda a "simple/too boring/do I really wanna deal with support?"); A thread falls into darkness, a wiki is always there, and can easily be linked to as opposed to trying to link towards the "latest thread"

Your thread is also highly biased towards a single setup type, which is generally one of the least common for the types of people you're aiming at; iptables is honestly much more used and preferred in the industry as opposed to a bunch of scripts which attempt to wrap iptables functionality, if somebody shows me an iptables chain generated with ufw, I'll scream because the thing has more jumps than a brothel (and really, relying on ufw to produce information which is accurate, i.e. not hitting one of the many quirks where ufw doesn't understand rule prioritisation properly), if somebody shows me an iptables setup, more than likely I can work out exactly what is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Excelente guia, muy eficiente ahora si podré proteger mi network de tramposos. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1