Easy way to start all servers

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by GaIaxy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. GaIaxy

Supporter

[​IMG]

I want to load all these servers at one-time and a easy way to manage them.

Most of these are game server's that wouldn't need to spool until active players request them. I use Ubuntu 16.10 and tmux.

Would a start_all.sh script work or something? Don't really want to use a panel and manually creating a new window in Tmux then going to the servers directory is a pain each time.

2. Celebrimbor

Patron

3. GaIaxy

Supporter

4. Celebrimbor

Patron

5. The OP wants to have his servers autostartrd with a detached tmux session at system boot

6. Celebrimbor

Patron

Like I said...I may be way the F off and wasting his time...but in the off chance this could help, I figured I would post it.

[​IMG]

7. GaIaxy

Supporter

Yeah, that didn't work. That just creates a new server with a screen. Don't really need a script for that. Thanks for sharing that though. Was interesting.

Spot on.

8. I can create a start_all.sh for you for pretty cheap if you want :)
    I can obviously also do stop_all.sh if you want

9. GaIaxy

Supporter

I could probably do that. Just cd to directories all in one script.

The hurdle is spooling up game servers when they need to be used, instead of running 24/7

10. Well if you wanna do yourself, you might find tmux's -d flag useful, also you might find looping over *

11. GaIaxy

Supporter

Just because I'm curious. Shoot me a PM of a quote for the script. Might have more work for you.

Still need to find a way to spool up game servers when someone wants to join that server.

12. You might wanna look into this https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/cloudsystem.14071/

13. GaIaxy

Supporter

14. just add a webpanel like puffer or similar, it lets you send commands to multiple servers at once including start and stop iirc

15. That doesn't actually solve the starting all servers at boot issue.

16. As I'm sure it's said above, why not create a start script for each server and make one main ? Then the main script executes all of the scripts.

17. GaIaxy

Supporter

That solves starting them all at once.

However, there's many SkyWars maps that don't need to be up 24/7, but rather whenever someone tries to join that map.

18. See that's the issue

You could solve it wth getting a plugin coded to copy the folder, change the port and run it under certain conditions

#18 24763, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  19. electronicboy

IRC Staff

You're either going to need a prebuild solution, such as one of the many cloud systems (Fairly sure there are paid and free ones), or write your own; in order to handle the process of spinning up and down servers as needed.
    there are many ways to go about this, it really depends on your technical ability, willingness to learn, and not expecting to rely on tools like tmux as opposed to using modern solutions to your actual problem

20. GaIaxy

Supporter

Would modern solutions be a cloud system? I've always went about using screen or tmux for server management. If a cloud system would allow a server to automatically spool depending its request, then I'd use that. I just would need suggestions as to a good one.