Eclipse & IntelliJ: Q&A

Discussion in 'Programming' started by latiku, Jul 9, 2015.

1. latiku

Supporter

Hello, this will be short because I'm going on a plane in 2-3 hours, but here's a Q&A that will frequently be updated so everybody stops creating Eclipse vs. IntelliJ threads.

1. Which IDE is better?
    A:
    It's your personal preference, i'm not here to tell you which IDE is better than which, although I personally use IntelliJ.

2. Why do alot of people say IntelliJ is better than Eclipse?
    A:
    They do no more to plugin developers looking to satisfy the community and get some downloads, People who use IntelliJ think they're superior to people who use Eclipse since it's a extendable IDE having support for other languages, when IntelliJ is nothing more than Eclipse if you're only interested in plugin development, other languages I can't say the same.

3. Isn't IntelliJ better than Eclipse? I mean, it has alot more features and built-in git & mysql intergration
    A:
    Personal preference, and installing a plugin that adds Git support to Eclipse takes only 2 minutes.

4. Eclipse has saros, doesn't make that superior to IntelliJ?
    A:
    IntelliJ has a Saros alternative, It's called Floobits.

5. Eclipse tells you where the errors are in your code..
    A:
    So does IntelliJ, look on the side for red lines and click on them.

6. IntelliJ has a nice sleek dark theme, so should I switch over there to use it?
    A:
    and what's wrong with Eclipse's dark theme?
    [​IMG]

Alright, those are all the questions I could think of.
    Leave a comment if you have any questions for me to put in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I agree. However as is custom with this forum more topics will spring up eventually regarding the exact same subject and people will post their bias answers there. There are already a bunch of topics covering this and the only solution is to pin/sticky a topic answering the question in the most general way possible which is not something I see happening sadly.

3. mom

mom

This should prevent those threads from happening.

@MikeA pin thread?

4. I agree with all except #4.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Floobits only allows collaborating in an open-source project unless you pay for it, which means that Eclipse has a slight edge over IntelliJ in that respect.
    Other than that, I do prefer IntelliJ as an IDE overall.

5. has there been any success in using intellij versus eclipse?