Efficiently Detecting Speed Hacks

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Technerder, May 27, 2017.

1. i have been trying to think of an efficient way of detecting speed hacks. My current code is something like this

@EventHandler
    Public void Move(PlayerMoveEvent event) {

Player player = event.getPlayer();

Get player position and save location

Wait a second

Get location again

Get distance traveled

If player moved more than x blocks

Player is cheating

}

However this doesent seem efficient, any ideas on what i could to better to make this more efficient, or should i just redo my whole code with a new method?

2. ScarabCoder

ScarabCoder Retired Resource Staff
    Retired

You could try checking if e.getFrom() is more than a certain distance from e.getTo()

3. Well first of all, the PlayerMoveEvent is fired anytime a player moves, including pitch & yaw. Therefore I believe it is more efficiento to check and compare player location via timer (runnable or whatever its called)

4. So something along the lines on:

New runnable
    Player player = randomplayer
    Get player location
    Wait 20 ticks
    Get location again
    Subtract old location from new location
    If distance is higher than x player ischeating

Ps- sorry about writing like this, im on my phone and i dont feel like typing full events out. :p

5. Also how would i check if player was hit ordamaged, so if someone hits the player and boosts them, it wont give false positives.

6. electronicboy

IRC Staff

hardly, because then you remove the overall accuracy of such checks, especially in cases where the server starts lagging and other issues like that. You'd also be caring about players who haven't moved.

The general case for PME is pretty much "escape fast", e.g. if the players X, Y, Z hasn't changed, you don't need to do anything else so just remove it.

7. Mas

Mas

Listen for PME.
    Get the distance the player travelled.
    Find the exact distance the player can move when walking/sprinting.
    Factor in everything that can change speed.
    Account for ping and TPS so lag doesn't cause as many false positives.
    Profit.