Empty slots and ram usage

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Skulz, May 25, 2015.

1. Hey guys, this is probably a stupid question but empty slots in the server use ram? Let's say if I put 100, 300 or 400 slots but there are only 30 players online, there will be a different ram usage? And if yes, how much?

2. No, ram usage wont change for how many slots you've got open, however if you open more slots than your physical hardware can handle, you'll be subject to bad tps and out of memory crashes.

#2 GGhost, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  3. mm I don't understand your second statement. Do you mean if those slots get occupied by people?

4. Exactly.

5. Say your server can only really handle 100 players, but you want to look cool so you set your server to have 500 slots open.

This will not take more ram, or slow you down, *however*, if you manage to get more than 100 players on at a time, your server performance will begin to degrade, because you told your server it can handle up to 500 players, so it will allow up to 500 players to join, even if it can not handle it at all. This leads to bad lag, crashes, etc.

So to answer your question in short, no, it does not take more ram, for as long as the number of players you actually receive are within your servers limits.

6. thanks for the info, actually I was worried about wasting possible resources into slots lol.

7. I would recommend keeping less slots open that your maximum hardware ability. This will 1. improve performance and 2.If you have a plugin that donators can join when server is full.