ERROR io.netty.handler.codec.EncoderException: String too big (was 32789 bytes encoded, max 32767)

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by FrogBarZ, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Players that join the server will recieve the problem ERROR io.netty.handler.codec.EncoderException: String too big (was 32789 bytes encoded, max 32767) and get kicked.

Please help, its urgent!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Do you have any plugins that utilize the scoreboard , bossbar or inventories?

3. I get this in my server someone has used a hacked sign so rollback a couple of hours

4. I got scoreboardstats and what do you mean by Inventory ones?

5. Check the title you have set for scoreboard stats does not exceed 16 characters.

6. nope &9Battle&3Pinas

7. Have the same problem. I went as far as disabling all plugins and I still have the issue. Any help?

8. Dacon

Supporter

Getting same thing
    Code (Text):

Internal Exception: io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: readerIndex(9) + length(1) exceeds writerIndex(9): UnpooledHeapByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 9 cap: 9)

It only happens in certain locations though. Is your server in creative mode?

9. mine only happens @ /spawn

10. when ever some one exits my spawn, they are kicked and of course my error message is:

Code (Text):
    io.netty.handler.codec.EncoderException: String too big (was 32789 bytes encoded, max 32767)
    I have rolled back the server, and I have deleted the chunks. Nothing works

11. READ TO FIX IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM

A hack client out right now allows you to place a sign which the line goes over the max string buffer Minecraft can handle; however, it only works on 1.8.6- servers. People have placed signs in places many people go and when you get near them you get kicked from the sever. Update to server version 1.8.7+ to fix people from being able to place the signs. As for deleting the signs people have already placed, you can either revert to an older version of the map(s), remove all the signs in the area using worldedit (which will probably remove important signs), or get someone to make a plugin real quick to delete any sign containing the '|' character, as that is what the client uses to create the glitch.

#12 Vultra, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. thing is though it's in warzone, meaning they can't build there. is there a radius of which it has effect?

13. As long as the sign loads in for the client it will kick them (so large server render distance = large crash radius).

14. well, i don't understand how, it's like a small amount of chunks outside the spawn, after those chunks it's fine. the chunks that are effected are in warzone,

15. If you PM me the server's IP, I'd be happy to come look and see if this is actually the issue.

16. I'd say it is probably a scoreboard with a name larger than 16 chars. Although if it is this sign problem (never knew it existed) try moving your player from the area maybe open your world in mcedit and you could remove the signs. You also could change your server view distance to 1 and search for the chunk with the dodgy sign in it I guess.

17. Thank You so much, vultra. I can confirm that it is infact a hack client. Great Watch out for books and signs. :L

18. As I said before, updating your server to 1.8.7 makes it so it is not possible to to place the signs. Not 100% sure about books though, but those should not be as big of an issue.

19. I Meant the force op exploit

• Funny Funny x 1