Eu & AU proxies

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by BlacmarketMC, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Hello I was wondering how do people set up proxies on a dedicated server where players can join through for a better connection, and all that. I have never really got into all that, but I am wanting to know, if anyone can help that would be awesome. XD​

2. The idea would be to have multiple BungeeCords set up in different regions across the world. They would all still connect to the same backend Minecraft servers, but since datacenters generally have better peering/routes to eachother than residential connections, the latency should be less.

3. Thanks!

4. However as far as I know, for example Mineplex EU, US and AU servers are separated except the player count.

5. Dam that is a lot of up keep XD

6. What I pointed out above is what you really need to understand. Having separate "proxies" around the world will really only effect those with HORRIBLE internet. Modern Internet speeds are pretty great, all around the world. You can understand why large global servers such as Mineplex do this, but it isn't very practical for servers with less than 1,000 players, average.

The Internet, despite being very flawed, is generally efficient. Within game servers that operate single nodes allowing all parties to play together, using many "proxies" around the world isn't a good idea. Someone streaming at 20Mbps probably won't get a better latency than a server going at 300Mbps.

But if you were wondering how they achieve this, the actual routing of players, that's a huge other subject.

7. Wow thanks very well explained!

8. It all comes down to what technology your home has. DSL the worst, Cable OK, Fiber the best. I suppose in Minecraft, latency isn't that big of a deal compared to FPS games so it might not be a huge problem.

However, higher speed will not get you a better latency if it's run on the same technology. Sometimes, it's also beneficial to swap to another ISP, they might have better peerings with other providers so you get a "shorter" route to whatever network you are trying to reach.

I guess what a proxy would be best for is to be situated in a national "hub". This proxy would have much better peering to the different instances you host in other centers than residential people from your country and therefore an overall lower latency.