Expected server performance for my existing hardware

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Geroth, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hey folks,

I'm looking into home-hosting a minecraft server with a few vanilla enhancing plugins (harder nether, a chunckloader around traveling minecarts, and a few administrative options such as auto backup). This server would be used with some friends and I expect the amount of players in peak time to be around 5-10.

My question is what performance can I expect in terms of amount of players on the server. Also in terms of large amount of entities (say in cowfarms, or mobfarms). And how is the render distance (server end) of influence on this all? I realise that this is a bit of a vague question, I could find some info but no hard numbers. If someone could give me some examples or even better hard numbers (even though slightly estimated) I would be gratefull.

At home I already have a multipurpous server running, it is by no means professional grade, but it works fine for me and has cpu power to spare (to be more precice most of the time only 1 of the 4 cores is in use). The thing is I have no idea how intensive all hardware is going to be used. The specs are the following:
    CPU: AMD A series A10-6800K - 4.1 Ghz - 4 cores - 4 threads - 4MB Cache
    RAM: 24 GB of DDR 3 - 1600MHz
    Internet connection: 200mbit down / 20mbit up
    HDD: 9TB from 5 3TB sata-600 HDDs in RAID 6

I'm aware that single threaded performance of the CPU is likely my limiting factor, and as I have seen many references to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html in this forum, the processor rates 1495 on this test. But overclocking is a possibillaty for me so this could be improved) Also is configuring some kind of multithreading possible to gain a performance boost? if yes what specificly?

So once again, in terms of entities, players, rendered chuncks, and anything else that matters. What can I expect from this hardware?

2. joehot200

Supporter

DDoS attacks will be your main issue, since it's very hard (if not impossible) to get protection from home hosting. Also, a dynamic IP (if yours isn't static could be an issue).

As you said yourself, the CPU is the biggest drawback hardware-wise. As the CPU is, I think it might take a maximum of 30 players before it started lagging, but maybe with overclocking you could get ~50.

This of course depends on how well you optimize. I'm presuming you're the regular loony who sets their view distance to 10 and keeps the entity activation range to maximum. If you make a low view distance, low activation ranges, and slower crop ticking, as well as other things, you may be able to fit a bit more. It depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.

3. Thanks for the fast reply Joehot200, I appriciate it. First of all I do not see how DDoS will be an issue, I will only give out my IP to friends, and I do not think they will DDoS me, as I said before I will use this server with friends and not as a public server. If aside from that I am missing something on DDoS please do tell though.
    Furthermore my IP is static, so that's not the problem.

Thanks for the player estimate, 30 is more then enough for my purpouses. Is it also possible to give some indication of how large amounts of mobs will affect the performance?
    What will larger view distance do? Is doubling the amount of loaded chunks through view distance (not doubling the view distance) equivalent to doubling the number of players? Ideally I'd like some info on how the different type of cpu processes relate to eachother in numbers. Although I don't know if that can even exist when there's also a processor type dependance.

Also is there some kind of gain in multithreading?

4. joehot200

Supporter

For Minecraft? No. Any more than 2 cores for a single server is a complete waste. The cores will be used for almost nothing.

I'm going to presume you want to have 20 players online.

As long as you have low entity activation ranges, you should be fine. There's no limit as such, but make sure that the entity ticking doesn't reach it's cap, or else they will start to move slowly (Even though your TPS won't go down!).
    Single threading is the one most important factor to Minecraft. The link in your original post is fairly accurate, and should be used as a rough guide on the performance of the CPU.

Generally, you want to be on a 4-core CPU. The majority of 2-core CPUs are just not powerful enough CPUs, and almost all of the 8-core CPUs sacrifice single-threaded performance for multi-threaded performance. Remember that single-threaded performance is the most important thing when it comes to Minecraft.

As long as your friends do not give out the IP, and you don't advertise the server, then you should be fine. But if you ever advertise externally, you will want DDoS protection.

5. Expect that CPU will be horrible, AMD arent good for minecraft servers

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Cldfire

Cldfire Retired Moderator
    Retired

You need to actually learn about these things before giving advice, that's completely wrong.