Extreme Lag/Packet Issues in certain world for only some players

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by d1m0a1n, May 20, 2017.

1. UPDATE: This problem seems to have expanded past only the spawn world, now players that were affected can not even connect to the server. Here is a post a player made on the server's forums about it.

I'm having a very weird issue on my server. Some players (around 50% after doing a poll) get extreme lag, only in the spawn world. It takes them up to 2 minutes to catch up when they do /spawn (their game lags and they get short waves of chat while loading, same with players moving, they will freeze for 30 seconds and all move fastly for a second). Once they are loaded in, they get massive rubberbanding and other lag, as well as chunks not loading in front of them.

For me and about 50% of players, this issue is non-existant. This is why we are having trouble finding the cause, as if it was an issue with a certain plugin, it would likely happen to all players. The players that it is happening to have a fine internet connection, and usually <100 ping to the server.

Description from a players point of view :
    A player joins the server whilst in the spawn world and will be stuck on the "Loading Terrain" splash screen for ~2 minutes.
    After actually loading into the world, all commands and interactions with the world are useless and cannot be used.
    Once most of the chunks around the player load in, the chat begins to load - however very slowly and almost in waves.
    Other players around you seem to be teleporting around, not moving slowly in any form. Just jumping from point to point ever 5-10 seconds.
    Commands can now be proccessed but with a massive delay and again, in waves - Indicitive of some form of packet loss issue.
    This issue is non-existant if the player is teleported to another world.

Also a video from a player experiencing it:

Some server hardware/plugin info:

Timings: https://timings.aikar.co/?id=2129b83bcbd3474abcbe0d1c62671ba9

Dedicated Server Specs:
    RAM
    4 x 8192 MB

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    Number :
    Cache :
    8192 KB
    Speed :
    4200 MHz
    Disks
    1 x 240GB SSD

Kernel version
    "Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS" 3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64

The server is running through BungeeCord, on Paper Spigot git-Paper-1104

#1 d1m0a1n, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Get an backup
    Try it without plugins, update your paper spigot version.

Not working ? Try a chunk fix or the normal spigot

3. The EnhancedBalTop seems to peak out on the timings report:
    [​IMG]

Try removing it for a while and see if anything changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hmm, that may be the reason. There is a holographic baltop scoreboard at spawn.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. electronicboy

IRC Staff

that task has only been involved in 1 execution where it was actually causing lag

Please provide timings without react, that appears to have had 500 cases involved in a tick which lagged, and the plugin is known to cause issues with timings output that can make them unreliable for actually debugging issues.

Actually, I'm not even sure timings will help in this case;
    Have you tried checking their ping/latency towards the server? (MTR is a good tool for this)
    This really sounds more networking than actual server related

6. Timings without react
    https://timings.aikar.co/?id=a9bd8dc0b9d64612ab92696abb62ed64

7. electronicboy

IRC Staff

ProVotes::Event: m.j.p.l.PlayerJoin (PlayerJoinEvent)
    count(41) total(0.11% 1.078s, 0.17% of tick)
    avg(26.28ms per - 0.08ms/0.00 per tick)

also, get rid of your world autosave plugin, the server already handles that in a way that allows the server time to breath instead of trying to save the full world to the disk...

8. Here is another video of this issue, including a player logging into the main world with no lag and the spawn world with a lot of delay. Includes a timer and their connection info.

9. Gaxan

Supporter

Here is why your spawn lags so much.
    Code (Text):

0,-512 (Area Seen 3 times)
    Totals: 546 Entities - 2436 — Tile Entities - Summary:
    MULE: 2ZOMBIE_VILLAGER: 2ENCHANTMENT_TABLE: 3ORANGE_SHULKER_BOX: 3LIME_SHULKER_BOX: 3PINK_SHULKER_BOX: 3GRAY_SHULKER_BOX: 3SILVER_SHULKER_BOX: 3BLUE_SHULKER_BOX: 3GREEN_SHULKER_BOX: 3EXPERIENCE_ORB: 3PAINTING: 3DROPPER: 5BAT: 5MOB_SPAWNER: 6DAYLIGHT_DETECTOR: 6DISPENSER: 11JUKEBOX: 12REDSTONE_COMPARATOR_OFF: 12BEACON: 15BREWING_STAND: 16TRAPPED_CHEST: 18ZOMBIE: 18COW: 18ENDER_CHEST: 21PIG: 23CHEST: 30ARMOR_STAND: 36FURNACE: 39SHEEP: 41DROPPED_ITEM: 48HOPPER: 57DAYLIGHT_DETECTOR_INVERTED: 66PLAYER: 91NOTE_BLOCK: 102SIGN_POST: 113CHICKEN: 115ITEM_FRAME: 141WALL_BANNER: 162SKULL: 417WALL_SIGN: 608FLOWER_POT: 696
    0,0 (Area Seen 3 times)
    Totals: 1682 Entities - 10710 — Tile Entities - Summary:
    SQUID: 1MOB_SPAWNER: 3PINK_SHULKER_BOX: 3GRAY_SHULKER_BOX: 3BLUE_SHULKER_BOX: 3GREEN_SHULKER_BOX: 3EXPERIENCE_ORB: 3SNOWBALL: 3MULE: 3ORANGE_SHULKER_BOX: 6LIME_SHULKER_BOX: 6SILVER_SHULKER_BOX: 6DISPENSER: 9REDSTONE_COMPARATOR_OFF: 12ZOMBIE_VILLAGER: 14BOAT: 16ENCHANTMENT_TABLE: 21COW: 27COMMAND: 36DROPPED_ITEM: 42ENDER_CHEST: 44PIG: 47SHEEP: 51JUKEBOX: 54DAYLIGHT_DETECTOR_INVERTED: 60BREWING_STAND: 63PAINTING: 78DROPPER: 114BAT: 116HOPPER: 159PLAYER: 186WALL_BANNER: 207ENDER_PORTAL: 209ARMOR_STAND: 238NOTE_BLOCK: 241CHICKEN: 260FURNACE: 288ITEM_FRAME: 288ZOMBIE: 309SIGN_POST: 361BEACON: 407TRAPPED_CHEST: 495FLOWER_POT: 739SKULL: 1023CHEST: 2091WALL_SIGN: 4044

10. I understand how this could cause lag, but the lag is only for some players. Players with low end PCs and bad connection can be loading spawn fine.

11. Seems to me that you need a more simple spawn, or reduce view limit. Players don't have the best computers out here. So making a minecraft server is about making an equal gameplay even for the most poor.

12. As I said, players with high end PCs are getting this issue, and some players with low ends are not. It's got to be something to do with the server, the network, or a plugin, but we can't find what is causing it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Update on this, did a full dedicated server restart, no change. None of the suggested fixes in this thread worked. It has to be an issue with the networking of the server or something, but I just have no idea what the solution would be.

14. Something which might help is if you get PlugMan installed and when you start to notice lag, literally just start disabling plugins with plugman, its pretty ghetto but its worked for me in the past, basically I had to deal with some lag issues so i started disabling plugins 1 by 1, eventually I disabled a plugin and TPS shot right back up 20.

Its kinda the last resort though, it means you're disabling plugins on a live server. But if you get the right plugin disabled, chances are the TPS shoots back up (assuming its a plugin causing it)

15. I've come to the conclusion that this is not minecraft serverside. The panel for the server is being hosted on the same dedicated server, and players who are affected by the issue ingame take significantly longer to load onto webpages hosted on the dedicated server. I have contacted the host.

16. electronicboy

IRC Staff

run a mtr towards the server (for nix machines, install this as a normal package or from homebrew, if you're using windows, use winmtr) and run a report towards your server, that's basically a combination between traceroute + ping, and provides useful information, especially if you run it during one of your issues with the network; helpful in determining if it's network related, or machine related

17. entitys or a Exploit packets of a plugin

• Like Like x 1
  18. Turns out there was "flapping" at the Chicago links of the dedicated server. This explains why the problem only happened for certain players. The problem seems to have completely disappeared.

• Like Like x 1