Faster way to transfer files?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by iLemon, Nov 12, 2014.

1. iLemon

Patron

Certainly. I deleted the 'latest.log' and now the servers folder is 14.8 GB.

2. Now you can easily zip it up and download it!

3. Wow.... That log must log more than just chat and errors.
    Edit: Now you will be fine with just a small vps. I have one, which I use for testing. You can borrow it for a day if you want :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. iLemon

Patron

Well, actually thinking about it, I use the plugin CrateKeys by @PickNChew and it spams my console with about 1000 errors a second or something ridiculous... This must have been the cause of the massive log files...

Yep! :D

5. Let me know if you need help with Linux, I'm bored today anyway...

6. I don't allow plugins to run if they give me 1 error let alone 100 a second... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iLemon

Patron

I may need some help on Friday, as I will be switching to Linux. I will need to be able to access the FTP if that needs setting up and also I will need to install multicraft on it!

8. Lets do FileZilla...much easier...You just need your IP and your login credentials and your set. then its just like Windows to copy/move/delete files...Three options with Linux for FTP....

Attached Files:

#28 EODSteven, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. iLemon

Patron

Yes, that's what I mean. I use filezilla. I just do not know what the username and password is or where to find them!

10. iLemon

Patron

But if you meant, the multicraft part, I will definitely be using that...

11. LINUX INSTALLATION
    ==================

- Unpack the archive
    - run "setup.sh" from inside the "multicraft" directory you extracted
    - Follow the instructions

After running "setup.sh":
    - Run the control panel installer, e.g. http://your.address/multicraft/install.php
    - Follow the instructions
    - Run the daemon, e.g. /home/minecraft/multicraft/bin/multicraft -v start

Now you have a running Multicraft installation. Next steps:
    - Update Minecraft ("Settings"->"Update Minecraft")
    - Create a server ("Servers"->"Create Server")
    - Start the new server to test the installation
    - Add the Multicraft start command to your systems startup

For further reading and troubleshooting visit:
    http://www.multicraft.org
    Don't know what Multicraft is...really just a server guy mainly....Oh...its a host like OVH ok...I use to play around with Amazon EC2 so yea...I think they require you to use a secure key don't they? If you are buying there service they will provide all the support I assume, right? Wow, they are pretty cheap...How is their Bandwidth?

#31 EODSteven, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  12. iLemon

Patron

Multicraft is a control panel for minecraft servers. It's what most server hosting company's use.

13. iLemon

Patron

Hey,

So last night I tried to transfer the files, and I zipped it up and tried. It takes AGES and said 7 hours remaining but it just stops.

So I guess this issue is no longer resolved...

Please help if anyone knows how to transfer my server files quicker!!!

14. Maximvdw

Benefactor

It stops because it exceeds the execution time. Ask your host to rsync it to somewhere else, or let them create a zip

15. You can still clean up your server folder by deleting a bunch of unnecessary stuff and see if that works too. Remember you can always re-download all your plugins...

16. Maximvdw

Benefactor

also don't zip dynmap if you have that

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. iLemon

Patron

Hey,

I have managed to set up my server and install multicraft.

All I need to do now is transfer the files back... What I did, is zip the server and move it to a spare old server which was still running.

I am now transferring it to my PC, to then unzip it and upload it to the server, but I have an issue...

So I'm downloading the zip with my server files inside it, to my desktop. It has been doing it for over 47 minutes now and is only on 8.1% complete... It also tells be I have about 9 hours left until complete...

Would there be any quicker way of transferring the zip file from a random server to my desktop?

18. Maximvdw

Benefactor

tarball

19. iLemon

Patron

Pardon? Could you explain more? I think that means .tar files?

20. Can you not FTP them between the 2 servers?