First 1.16 Snapshot: 20w06a

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by MiniDigger, Feb 5, 2020.

1. MiniDigger

Supporter

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-snapshot-20w06a
    The first snapshot for 1.16, the "Nether Update" is here, and we're very excited to share it with you! This snapshot contains new biomes, blocks, and a fancy new ore called "ancient debris".

FEATURES IN 20W06A
    • Added new Nether blocks!
    • Knockback resistance is now a scale instead of a probability
    • Added Crimson Forest biome to the Nether
    • Added Hoglins – they don’t do much yet, but they have cute flappy ears!
    • Patrols no longer spawn when the player is close to any village
    • Added Netherite!
    • Added Soulsand Valley biome to the Nether
    • Walls do not have gaps anymore when stacked vertically
    • Added Warped Forest biome to the Nether
    BLOCKS
    Many new block types have been added!

• Two new wood-like materials – Crimson Stems and Warped Stems
    • Basalt blocks – you can find them as pillars but they can be placed in any direction
    • New ground surface blocks: Crimson Nylium and Warped Nylium
    • New vegetation: Nether Sprouts, Crimson Roots and Warped Roots
    • Two types of Fungi: Crimson and Warped – try using bone meal to grow them!
    • Warped Wart blocks
    • Weeping Vines that grow from the bottom of a block downwards!
    • A new natural light source: Shroomlights
    • Added Soul Soil! Whenever fire burns on Soul Soil, it burns with a blue flame!
    • Soul Soil can be used to craft Soul Torches – and those can be crafted into Soul Lanterns!
    • Using bone meal on Netherrack can now spread Nylium
    CRIMSON FOREST
    Crimson Forests can now be found in the Nether!

• Crimson nylium carpets the cave floor with all kinds of strange new vegetation
    • Huge Crimson Fungi make up the “trees” of this forest, with Shroomlights lighting up the forest floor
    • Weeping Vines grow from the cave ceilings and fungi
    • Hoglins wander these forests
    • Crimson spores swirl through the air
    NETHERITE
    • A new high-level material found in the Nether. Use it to upgrade your diamond gear!
    HOW TO MAKE NETHERITE
    • Mine Ancient Debris in the lower depths of the Nether. At own risk. No insurance coverage for that
    • Refine it into Netherite Scrap in a Furnace (although that’s kind of slow so you might want a Blast Furnace)
    • Combine 4 Nether Scrap with 4 Gold Ingots in a crafting table to make a Netherite Ingot
    NETHERITE EFFECTS
    • Netherite items float in lava so you don’t lose all your gear after that unplanned lava bath
    • Netherite items have higher enchantment value than diamond (but not as high as gold)
    • Netherite tools work faster and last longer than diamond
    • Netherite weapons do more damage than diamond
    • Netherite armor have higher toughness and durability than diamond
    • Netherite armor gives you knockback resistance, so you barely get knocked back at all when hit by arrows and such
    • ...and it looks cool!
    SOULSAND VALLEY
    Soulsand Valleys can now be found in the Nether!

• An open space made mostly of Soul Sand and Soul Soil
    • Basalt pillars span from floor to ceiling
    • Fossil remains of unknown creatures from the past litter the valley
    • Ash falls through the air
    • A light blue glow envelopes the valley
    • Beware of Skeletons here!
    SOUNDS
    • Ghasts sounds are now heard at a shorter range
    • Updated block sounds for Bone Blocks, Netherrack, Soul Sand, Netherwart, Nether Bricks and Quartz Ore
    WARPED FOREST
    Warped Forests can now be found in the Nether!

• Warped nylium carpets the cave floor with all kinds of strange new vegetation
    • Huge Warped Fungi make up the “trees” of this forest, with Shroomlights lighting up the forest floor
    • A dark blue fog covers the forest
    • Warped spores swirl through the air
    • The Warped Forests are strange, but also the least hostile place of Nether
    WORLD GENERATION
    • The old Nether biome is now called Nether Wastes
    • Made shipwrecks and ocean ruins a bit less common, so you get more excited when you find one!
    TECHNICAL CHANGES IN 20W06A
    • Added a locatebiome command
    COMMANDS
    LOCATEBIOME
    New command that locates a specified biome. Useful in creative mode when you’re
    looking for a specific biome and don’t want to fly around randomly searching for it.
    Syntax: locatebiome <biome>
    Parameters:

• biome - The id of the biome to find
    PARTICLES
    • New particle types: ash, crimson_spore, soul_fire_flame and warped_spore
    RENDERING
    • Nailed Entity shadows to the ground.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MiniDigger

Supporter

what do you guys think? I really like the shroomlights. They might not seem much, but a nice addition, more light sources are always nice.

the introduction of "nether diamond" (netherrite) is also interesting

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yay, it's here!

Also a material better than diamond?? Oh boy, that changes everything.

I wonder if the knockback effect netherite armor gives is stackable or it just works with any piece of the set? I want to get the snapshot to try that out

edit: it is stackable, each armor piece gives +1 knockback resistance. This would be cool to experiment with, you could create an item that gives you legit anti knockback. Really neat!

#3 Valkyy, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. MiniDigger

Supporter

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Yeah, I noticed that too as I was flying around. They should make it fade into red when you transition. I also don't like that there's 10x as many ghasts now in the new biome.

6. My favorite thing about this update by far already; the fog. The fog. The bloody fog in the soul sand valley biome. It was never possible to create fog in the game properly. I don't mean building techniques, I mean actual fog that you don't physically can run into. The closest was the depth effect you get when you get too low in the world, but that was quite limited since it auto adjusted itself based on your height. This fog is not only not affected by render distance (or at least, it doesn't go away on high distances), it doesn't scale when you go up or down either. Seems fantastic. Can create some fun magical dimensions or places with this shit. Anyone got some tools to hack around locally to see if you can get this fog in the overworld too? Try changing the biome.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah and the blue fire by default is cool, though that could already be done through biomes and resourcepacks. Cool to have it in by default now. Oh yeah and the new particles are also cool. I'm like a kid in a candy store now.

Nice hit animation tho.
    https://gyazo.com/195bcf72a75daf163b1819d623e01100

#6 MrDienns, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Love Netherite, new high quality items was a great idea. And really like that they are revamping the nether which didnt have much use

8. God going to be a pain to update to support all the new blocks but I’m very excited. My one hope is they don’t allow mending on the new items. Diamond armor already made dying hard enough, I get it will be really rare and hard to make but still. Mending books are rampant due to the 1 emerald per book exploit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. blaukat

Supporter

This is shaping up to be my new favorite update, I don't care if performance is worse than 1.14 you already know I'm updating asap.

Do we know when the full release is planned for?

• Like Like x 1
  10. based on first snapshot date vs full update release of older versions, I would say may/june.

11. I like how mysterious the the Nether looks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MiniDigger

Supporter

It will not be worse than 1.14, it should be on par or better than 1.15.

I would say earlier than that. these things where in the works for months now, as they where working in parallel to 1.15 (due to their increased team size now)

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]
    nice hitbox tho

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wow, the nether doesn't completely burn my eyes anymore. Hopefully they will improve entity ticking by the time it rolls out to.

15. ssamjh

Had a look at it today, it looks f**king awesome!
    I don't recall there ever being a single snapshot with so much new content :O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

The new ore & blocks sound really promising! I've been waiting for some new addition or at least aspect when it comes to mining something useful.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Two steps back in terms of performance. But it's the first snapshot.will check it again when my pc is started again. Laptop performance was bad.

18. So much new content, it is awesome!

19. blaukat

Supporter

What makes you say that?

20. Nether now looks much better and resourceful. Love the Shroomlights but isn't the number of Enderman is slightly more than usual or has it been always like that ;)